Author Topic: viola rigby  (Read 5793 times)

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
viola rigby
« on: Saturday 21 June 14 07:09 BST (UK) »
hello everyone i am looking for my father,s half sister born in glasgow in 1910 her full name was viola clyde rigby father david peter rigby mother mary rigby maiden name dunlop i can find no record of her after 1911 census parents split up and viola stayed with the mother her father married my grandmother in bristol in 1918 he died in 1923 when my father was 2 and his brother 4 i think mary went on to have more children and i think mary became forbes .
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: viola rigby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
Can't see any records in Scotland for her. Could she have emigrated?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in a few credits at modest cost.

There is no marriage of a Mary Dunlop or Mary Rigby to a Mr Forbes in the index there, or in the England and Wales indexes at www.freebmd.org.uk. So Mary's second husband must have had some other surname. Nor is there a marriage or a death of a Viola Clyde with any surname at all in the Scottish index. I can't do a similar search in the England and Wales indexes because they abbreviate middle names to an initial.

You need to use one of your SP credits to find, and 5 to download, the marriage certificate of David Peter Rigby to Mary Dunlop. They were married in 1906. This will tell you how old Mary was, and the names of her parents. Use this, and her place of birth from the 1911 census, to find her birth certificate.

Then use this information to look for Mary's death certificate (assuming that she stayed in Scotland), which should be indexed under her maiden surname. This will tell you the name of her second husband, and you can try for Viola under her stepfather's surname elsewhere.

If they had been divorced in Scotland, I would have expected to find a listing of the divorce papers in the online catalogue at www.nas.gov.uk, but there is no such listing. Therefore it may be that they were divorced in England or somewhere else, or that Mary died before 1918 (though if she had several more children that seems unlikely). Or Mary may have set up home with a Mr Forbes but not actually married him.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
i have invested pounds and pounds on scotlandspeople i have her mothers death certificate in 1948 also her half sisters death certificate in 1927 also her other half sister who got married and lived on the isle of arran dont want to say to much in case children of the person who recorded her death is still alive i have put just viola into sp just rigby nothingi have the marraige certificate of david p rigby and mary dunlop,s marraige the eldest daughter died age 3 just after the 1911 census she was jane braid herd rigby. there was a daughter born to him and ann ward with the same name who went with her aunt to america i have researched all this and been in contact with jean,s family in america mary rigby  may have had david p rigby.s army pension till the day she died because i believe he had a war pension wether that marraige was ever dissolved i dont know
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
on mary,s death cert it says parents were clyde on the marraige cert to my grandfather they were dunlop and mothers maiden name mcintyre think the two of them told porkies
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 June 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
You have obviously put a lot of time and effort into finding out about Viola and are familiar with her background. However, she's new to me so a couple of very basic questions.

1. There are two Viola Clyde Rigbys showing at SP born 1910 Lanark - do you have both/one/neither of these certificates. (I've not checked this could be the same birth showing twice?)

2. How did you find Mary Dunlop's death certificate?  Over 300 Mary Dunlops die between 1911 and 1950 - none with Rigby or Forbes as 'other surname' or Clyde as mother's maiden name.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 June 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
this is what i have
margaret isobel rigby born 1925 died 1927 age 2
mother mary dunlop was married to david rigby coal miner
father of child grindlay forbes (galvaniser)

on her death cert sorry it was 1953 she was 64
lola mary forbes
married 1st to john rigby coal miner 2nd grindlay liddell forbes galvaniser
death recorded by her son think he mixed up david,s first name i had this on scotlandspeople
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
If Mary was still married to David Rigby in 1927 then his marriage in 1918 was illegal. Have you found a marriage to Grindlay Forbes?

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 June 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
yes his marraige must have been i know my grandmother had a real struggle to bring the boys up and on his army records there is a copy of their marraige certificate maybe to prove they were married i dont know i,m just so glad my father did,nt find this out before he died i dont think her and grindlay forbes ever married but i,m not really that interested in her or him i,m just wondering what happened to viola was she put in a home sent abroad as a homechild or given to one of mary,s family i have looked through the rigby,s she was not with them i have my grandfathers brother and sisters children birth it is an enigma she says she was married to david in 1927 but he died in 1923 in bristol
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.