Author Topic: UK Incoming Passengers from India - MASSEY  (Read 6805 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
UK Incoming Passengers from India - MASSEY
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)
please can I also ask if anyone is able to find Lucy Massey, Kate Massey, James William Massey and George Massey coming into the UK from India after 1887 and before 1890. I am hoping to find a lady called Mary Thompson with them and any other Masseys or Thompsons? Mary Thompson has been a mystery for ages now and I am really hoping details of her and her families arrival in the UK may shed some light on her

yours hopefully
Margaret  :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: UK Incoming Passengers from India - MASSEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 08 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello again :)
sorry - I forgot to add their ages in the request last time.

James Wiilam Massry was born 1877 in Bangalore
Lucy Massey was born 1880 in Bangalore
Kate Massey was born 1882 in Bangalore
George Massey was born in 1886 in Bangalore

Their father was called Ambrose Shere Massey and he was born in the UK in 1847.

Their mother/the woman their father married in December 1890 in UK was called Mary Thompson and she was born in Madras in about 1862. but may have been travelling with them under the name Mary Massey.

This is all I have to go on

Margaret :)
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valiant

• RootsChat Extra
  • In the Corner Of Some Foriegn Field
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 November 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margret,
        I have had a look there are a few Massey's comming from India but most arriving 1900's.
i assume you have found the census's for them staying in England i found 1891 with Ambrose 43 Mary 30 Lucy 10 Kate 9 George 5 George 55 Lucy 55
                         Dave

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, thanks very much for replying  :)

Yes, I had found them in the 1891 Census for here in the UK and have also found a record of their baptisms in Bangalore, India in November 1887. I have also found the brother [James William] in boarding school in the 1891 UK census. So, they must have returned to the UK some time between November 1887 and April 1891 to fit with their baptism date and the 1891 beginning of April Census date in the UK?

Do you think they could have travelled into the UK via another country en route from India?

Any information gratefully received  :) as finding them may throw some light on the ancestry of their mother - Mary Massey by the time of the 1891 UK census, but marrying their father in the UK in December 1890 as Mary Thompson who decsribes her 'last place of residence' as Madras

Margaret
Surname Interests

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :) just trying again to find the elusive Massey's coming in from India to the UK before 1901 [I have them in the census].
I wondered if anyone could find Lucy or Kate, or their father who had the slightly unusual name of Ambrose Shere Massey  :-\

best wishes
Margaret
Surname Interests

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
What was Ambrose's occupation, and the occupation of his and Mary's father from the marriage certificate?

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/26817/pages/492 - a mention of Ambrose here, in case you don't have it already.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello jorose, thankyou for replying and for the link to the Gazette. I had seen the same entry in the Times but didn't realise that it was also in the Gazette - so that was new information for me  :)

I know a lot about Ambrose Shere Massey's side of the family, as he was born in the UK in 1847 travelling to India in 1867 [we think] and setting up an iron foundry. His father was a butcher from Hanley in Stafford [Samuel Massey], named on his marriage certificate and described as a gentleman. I think this promoted him a bit!

Ambrose describes himself as a 'civil engineer' on his marriage certificate of December 23rd 1890 in St Martins in the Field, London.

Mary Thompson states no profession for herself, says her father was called Edmund Thompson, and that his profession was also 'gentleman'.  She says that her residence at the time of the marriage was 'Madras, India'.  Later census [1891 and 1901] say that her place of birth was the same as the residence stated on her marriage certificate.

By the time of this marriage, four children had already been born in India to Ambrose and Mary. Whether this is the same Mary getting married to Ambrose as the mother of the children born in India is unknown yet. My only clues that she may be the same person, are that she calls herself their mother on later census, and she bears a good family resemblence in photos I have. :-\

My reason to try to find them on the ships passengers inward to the UK, is to see how she describes herself, if she travels with the rest of the family, and if any of her wider family [other Thompsons] travel with her.

This part of the tree is one of my big puzzles. The old and worn family stories are that she was Anglo-Indian and may have only married her partner and father of their children when coming to the UK. But this is all to be worked out  :) -

Margaret
Surname Interests

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 January 09 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello , I have jumped in on your correspondence . sorry , but i want to know a similar question but in reverse. i am looking for the departure (?) of Richard malet =Anglo Indian who married Isabella milner Wharton  in London 1861 . she also said her father was a gentleman , which he was not !!. i can not find them anywhere . Richard was well born and educated in India and i think came from an area jalaphur ?
Can you steer me in any direction to find them .
i have tried ancestry to no avail . The malet came from Wiltshire but many of them worked and lived in India .
thank you . if i come across your family i will pass it on . Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I am looking for the arrival of the Massey family from India to the UK after 1887. I originally thought Lucy and Katie [or Kate] would have arrived for their fathers marriage in December 1890, but now think they may not have arrived until later.  I know they were here by the time of the 1891 census.

I would really appreciate any help with finding them on the incoming passenger lists?

MarMnkly
Surname Interests