Author Topic: Thomas Goodman  (Read 7880 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Goodman
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 27 April 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Spades has very kindly offered to go to the archives for me, therefore, Lucy2 needn't go also but thank you for the offer in reserve. I was looking at those newspaper entries re lost relatives and missing friends and I noticed that another one that may also apply. You did mention four in all Lucy2.

Timaru Herald Friday 21st March 1882, pg 2 from Lloyds Weekly February 13th.
Thomas Goodman went to New Zealand 1873. His sister Elizabeth writes.

Does anyone know what area of NZ Timaru covers?

One of previously two that Lucy2 mentioned re Betsy, was in the Auckland Star 1890. Although, I know that you guys found Thomas as early as 1884, in the Hillgrove electoral roll, could he have been in Auckland previously? On the other hand, his sister may have been guessing as she may not have known where he was. I believe the use of the different names Elizabeth, Eliza and Betsy are all correct. I have certainly seen Elizabeth and Betsy been entered on the census.

The use of George McCarthy instead of George Goodman may have been a similar attempt at attracting someone's attention to the newspaper article. McCarthy certainly was his mother's name. She was Irish and in times past, in Ireland, some women were identified with their maiden names as well as their married names. I suppose it does also confirm that it is the correct Goodman being sought. Those little personal pieces are great for FH purposes. Of course I would never have come across them but for all your help which I am so grateful for.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 27 April 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
re: Archives look-up - thanks for letting me know.  ;)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 27 April 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
I was looking at those newspaper entries re lost relatives and missing friends and I noticed that another one that may also apply. You did mention four in all Lucy2.

Timaru Herald Friday 21st March 1882, pg 2 from Lloyds Weekly February 13th.
Thomas Goodman went to New Zealand 1873. His sister Elizabeth writes.

Hi ....  mmm, I don't see the notice re: Thomas GOODMAN dated 1882 ??
[I think you are probably referring to the same one I'd mentioned in part -  as "* March 1889"  (which was published "Timaru Herald" - 21 March 1889 on page 2 ) ?

The Lloyd's Weekly and other similar "missing friends" notices, were picked up (from UK sources) and published by newspapers from all over New Zealand.   It is merely co-incidental that the one regarding Thomas GOODMAN found its way into the "Timaru Herald" at a time when he was probably residing in that locality.    [The person enquiring ( Elizabeth / Betsy), seemed only to know that her brother was in New Zealand, and the year of  his departure from England - otherwise one would think that "his" last-known place of abode, might have also been included ?] 

I do hope that there will be some helpful information contained in that probate file.   :)

~  Lu

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes you are right Lucy2, my mistake, wishful thinking, I guess. I had another look at those entries. There is two for 1889. The other one is Te Aroha News, 20th April 1889 Page 3 Missing friends. I also had a reply from the Museum although there wasn't much information available, however, it was worth a shot.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all, a very big thank you to Spades for kindly viewing the probate for Thomas Goodman and for sending me the file download. It appears that it was a life policy for Thomas valued at £150.00, if I am reading it correctly. It doesn't, however, give any further information on Thomas and his relatives. I expect the newspapers give as much information as was available at the time. I am very grateful to you all for your help and to Spades in particular for going to the archives on my behalf. I would otherwise not have been able to read the information.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 03 May 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all, i have included as below part of the reply that I received from the museum. It was very good of them to search and reply to my email. There were details found in the hospital relating to a Thomas Goodwin who died from burns etc. it appears an incorrect surname and age was documented. The below message refers to that but it was in box form therefore I couldn't post it.

"I have checked the Hampden Cemetery records and have found the following entry:
Row 1
Plot 159
William Wheeler died 30 May 1832 aged 74
Also
Thomas Goodman died 22 December 1907 aged 72

I checked the death notices from both the Oamaru Mail and the North Otago Times but found no entry for Thomas Goodman. However I did find the following entries:
GOODMAN – Clementina, died 24 May 1891 at Oamaru aged 76 years, mother of Mrs Thomas William, Oamaru and Mr R J Goodman, Wellington – Oamaru Mail

GOODMAN – On 25 May 1891 at St Kilda, Nen Street Mrs Clementine Goodman aged 76, mother of Mr R J Goodman, Post & Telegraph, Wellington – North Otago Times 25/5/1891

You may be able to access the Papers Past NZ website to view the newspaper entries relating to the death notices and for a missing nephew, unfortunately I have been unable to locate any archived details relating to this incident.

I was unable to find any record in relation to Thomas Goodman dying in Oamaru Hospital from Sceptecema due to burns.

The surname is incorrect, the age is too but the Cause and Date of Death is surely more than a coincidence?

I was unable to trace any rate records for Goodman in the Rates Records and have been unable to locate a Citizens Roll for the area; Hillgrove is in the area of Moeraki which is just South of Oamaru, I have attached a photo of the old station there for you.  Hillgrove did have a telecommunications unit there and we do have some related records but no mentioning the surname Goodwin I thought there may be a connection here with Wellington which you mentioned and was mentioned in the death notice."
I am away at present but I will chase up Elizabeth Seabrook on the electorial rolls when I return.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have had a look today at the Watford Directory 1913, at the library in Watford, Hertfordshire UK. I did see Mrs Seabrook at No. 52 Hagden Lane, Watford Herts. She appears to have been there up until 1920. From 1921-1926 there is a J. Seabrook at the same address. It then seems to disappear as a place. It may have been demolished. It was also called Sherwood Villa which confirms that the address was the same in both newspaper articles re the previous posts. J. Seabrook could be John, the son of Elizabeth (Betsy). He was born abt 1892. I will have to explore that family further re the other children.