Author Topic: Neely's in londonderry  (Read 21157 times)

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neely's in londonderry
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Joeyscat

I have some of this information and was unaware about Robert.

I only knew about Margaret Jane, James, John, Matthew, Oliver & Sarah. The 3 sons who came to Scotland were John, Oliver (I am descended through Oliver) & James and they all settled in the Anderston area of Glasgow and in particular Grace St.

That area is more or less flattened now and the family dispersed throughout Scotland and I have also came into contact with people in Canada, France & New Zealand.

I was over at St Columbs 3/4 years ago (during the renovaion) and got the opportunity to look through the parish records. I'm hoping to take my mum over next spring for her birthday as she has never been
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline joeyscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Was that the 1901 Oliver? Was he your grandad?

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Oliver Neely married Lizzie Fraser in St Columbs in 1880 and had a son Oliver in 1881 and the William in 1882. According to later Scottish census, both were born in Ireland (I assume Londonderry) however they had a daughter Margaret Jane in 1883 who, along with subsequent children, was born in Glasgow which indicates when they travelled to Glasgow.

I am a GGGrandson of Oliver Neely.

The Oliver Neely born in 1901 is, I reckon, the grandson of Oliver & Lizzie Fraser and son of Oliver b1881 in Londonderry.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline joeyscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
According to the info I have they had five more after Margaret Jane. Oliver 1901 was a son of the 1881 Oliver.

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my great Grandfather was a Joseph Neely, born 1838 Londonderry, he lived and worked in londonderry all of his life. His profession was carpenter, but in fact he was a coffin maker. He married Elizabeth Wright in 1862, his father before him was also Joseph, a confectioner. i have always felt that there was a connection to the undertakers Adair and Neely. Can anyone tell me how far back the Neely's have been in the funeral business.

Regards Daisy

Offline joeyscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I can find out. I know the son of the last Neely who sold up the business when he retired I will be speaking to him soon and I will ask him. I think it was his grandfather that started it which would have made it early 1900s . I don't think it went back past that as the previous one was a farmer.

We had a Joseph as well, brother of my gg, who was a carpenter but he was born in 1845, his father was called Robert. Have you any other names and dates going further back?

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
All the information i have as follows, Joseph Neely born 1838, coffin maker, married Elizabeth Wright in 1862 in the first presbyterian church, Templemore, Londonderry. Children where Mary Ann, Joseph William, Samuel John, Jane, Josephine, and Georgina. As far as i know Josephs father also Joseph, was a confectioner, but i believe that the Neely family owned somekind of carrier business, which eventually became the funeral business. i think that my Joseph, the coffin maker, possibly worked for the early company, and there was somekind of family connection, although i have not been able to tie it in. I have also been told that the Neely family originally bred horses for the military in County Donegall, although i have not checked that out as i havn't got that far back in my research, but it would make sense with them having a carrier business.

Regards Daisy

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 November 13 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Daisy

it certainly is a possibility that there is a relationship somewhere. The marriage extract that I have of Oliver Neely & Lizzie Frazer states that his father John was a horse dealer.

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 November 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Davie, the Neely's where such a large family, Its difficult to know which strand that we all come from, still trying to unravel it all.

Regards Daisy