Author Topic: Pottagh  (Read 20620 times)

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pottagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 April 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
One more notation:
Charles was 5 ft 11.  He came from Ireland to Mauch Ghunck, now Jim Thorpe, PA in 1835 or 1836.  Martha McLean was a sister of Thomas's father-in-law (Grandfather Alexander McLean (MacLean))who was the father of Mary McLean.  Thus Thomas married his aunt’s niece. Charles and Martha had two children who died at an early age in Jim Thorpe, PA.  Charles was a shipping agent at Jim Thorpe until 1845.  Thomas Wilson stayed with his uncle Charles and Aunt Martha Wilson when he first came to the US  in 1843.  He moved to Summit Hill, PA and kept a boarding house for a short time.  Then he moved to Port Richmond, near Philadelphia, built and owned brick houses there.   Martha went to Quincy to be with her sister Mary MacLean, and Nancy Knox.  Marth married a second time to John Lyle, son of Reverend William Lyle the pastor of Hudson Wilson from Articlave, Ireland.

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 April 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
At 5'11" Charles was tall for the time. Yes, the OS Memoirs give his year of emigration as 1834, age 25. I wonder if your Martha McLean was also aboard the ship Bowditch that sailed from Liverpool to NYC 27 May 1839? My James Wilson was aboard that same ship along with a bunch of McLeans. He may have traveled with them. If I understand your comment, you mean that Martha and Mary McLean were sisters and both daughters of Alexander McLean and Elizabeth Swan? DId they also carry "Swan" as a middle name the way the sons did? The boarding house you mention maybe the one on Pump St, Summit Hill which had been run by Alexander & Elizabeth McLean. I knew about Martha marrying John Lyle and moving to Adams Co., IL, near Quincy (Ellington Twp, as I recall) after Charles' death. I also recall finding Samuel Knox in the census of ADams CO., after he moved from Summit Hill. Do you know how Charles died?

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
I am part of that Wilson Family from Pottagh.   My branch descends from  Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson to  Hudson Cust Wilson (Charles jr.'s brother) to the son of Hudson Cust Wilson and Sarah Thompson whose name was Thomas. Thomas moved to the US and married Mary MacLean (daughter of Alexander MacLean and Elizabeth Swan). According to a letter I have from Thomas: Pottagh was in the family for over 200 years by 1856, he assumed that all Wilsons living at Pottagh had died or left Ireland.  We believe that the John Wilson wing of the family stayed on at Pottagh until John Wilson died in 1943 and his stepchildren left in 1963.

Assuming the Elizabeth Cust Wilson in your post is the same person as I know as Elizabeth Cust, I am too a descendant of Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson via their son, Cochran(e) (who lived at Ballyreagh) and his daughter, Jane who migrated to South Australia in the 1850s with her husband, William Alexander Moody (from Magilligan).  I would be very interested in comparing notes with both you and other relatives who have posted on this thread in order to better understand the layout of the family.
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,
ANT, IRL - WILSON, MONTGOMERY, MILLER, LIVINGSTONE

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    There is quite a bit of information on the Moodys of Magilligan on a couple of earlier threads. See
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=588116.msg4391794#msg4391794

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 April 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
I am part of that Wilson Family from Pottagh.   My branch descends from  Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson to  Hudson Cust Wilson (Charles jr.'s brother) to the son of Hudson Cust Wilson and Sarah Thompson whose name was Thomas. Thomas moved to the US and married Mary MacLean (daughter of Alexander MacLean and Elizabeth Swan). According to a letter I have from Thomas: Pottagh was in the family for over 200 years by 1856, he assumed that all Wilsons living at Pottagh had died or left Ireland.  We believe that the John Wilson wing of the family stayed on at Pottagh until John Wilson died in 1943 and his stepchildren left in 1963.

Assuming the Elizabeth Cust Wilson in your post is the same person as I know as Elizabeth Cust, I am too a descendant of Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson via their son, Cochran(e) (who lived at Ballyreagh) and his daughter, Jane who migrated to South Australia in the 1850s with her husband, William Alexander Moody (from Magilligan).  I would be very interested in comparing notes with both you and other relatives who have posted on this thread in order to better understand the layout of the family.

It sounds as if the three of us need to get together via email. I don't know if it's appropriate or not, but you may contact me directly.

Dan Wilson

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 April 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
  Hi -  I too am interested in the Wilson family of Pottagh. My ancestors Charles Price and Mary Wilson married in 1811 in Coleraine. A newspaper notice said both were from Coleraine, but if so, then perhaps only for a short period - Charles was actually from Ballintoy parish in Co Antrim. I wonder is there a clue to Mary’s origin in a later lease. In 1828 Charles' father leased a house to his other son John just before he married - this lease was for the three lives of "John Willson of Pottagh in the County of Londonderry" and his sons Charles and John. This was very much an inter-family lease and there must be some good reason why John Willson was selected as a life. Was he perhaps Charles Price’s brother-in-law? This is a theory I would love to prove or disprove. Any further information on the Pottagh Wilsons would be gratefully received.  Thanks.

Ron - Don't know if you caught Jay's posting or not, but if not, he has an 1889 letter from his ancestor, Thomas Wilson, son of Hudson Wilson of Pottagh. In the letter, Thomas Wilson mentions his "Half Aunt Mary Wilson who married Charles Price of Ballymena." She had a brother John Wilson, both children were by Charles Wilson's firs wife ____Millen. It sounds as if the John Wilson you mention was Charles Price's brother-in-law. However, there were several John Wilsons, and it's difficult to keep them separated, so be careful!

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 April 14 17:57 BST (UK) »

Ron - Don't know if you caught Jay's posting or not, but if not, he has an 1889 letter from his ancestor, Thomas Wilson, son of Hudson Wilson of Pottagh. In the letter, Thomas Wilson mentions his "Half Aunt Mary Wilson who married Charles Price of Ballymena." She had a brother John Wilson, both children were by Charles Wilson's firs wife ____Millen. It sounds as if the John Wilson you mention was Charles Price's brother-in-law. However, there were several John Wilsons, and it's difficult to keep them separated, so be careful!

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 April 14 14:14 BST (UK) »

It sounds as if the three of us need to get together via email. I don't know if it's appropriate or not, but you may contact me directly.

Dan Wilson

Hi Dan, I have just sent you an email. 
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 April 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    There is quite a bit of information on the Moodys of Magilligan on a couple of earlier threads. See
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=588116.msg4391794#msg4391794

Regards

Hi kingskerswell,
Thanks for the message.  I am already aware of the mentioned thread and as well as others on RootsChat concerning the MOODY family.  By the way, I am related to most of the people listed in the opening post.  I also personally know the author of the thread, i.e. 'Jack Gee'.