Author Topic: Notton Lacock, Wiltshire  (Read 3819 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Notton Lacock, Wiltshire
« on: Sunday 24 August 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
I have a Albert Edward Harding whose occupation on 1911 Census is Chauffeur. I wondered if there was a Country House in the area. Albert was born in Stawell, Somerset 1880 and was married to Maggie Welch b. 1884 Zeals, Wilts. Marriage 1907 Mere.
1911 Census has them living at Notton Lacock, Chippenham. I have not found any children of this couple. Would like any info going from 1911 and who he might have worked for.
The Harding surname seems to be quite popular in that area but cannot find a connection to anyone other that his sister Lucy b.1873 who married Frank Thomas Ford b.1873 Bradford Wilts.
living also in Chippenham at 30 Causeway, Chippenham - Frank was a Baker and Confectioner and owned a shop. Anyone with any connection to afore mentioned or know who Albert may have worked for, perhaps Country Estate owner. I have info previous to 1911 Census for all.
Many thanks, Syljun

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Notton Lacock, Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
The whole area has lots of wealthy landowners now and would have been similar then. Given the wealth available it may not have been a well known family he worked for.
The obvious households would be the Spicer family at Spye Park, or the Marquis of Lansdowne at Bowood.
Also possible was Lackham House and estates that had various owners through that time period, or the Talbot family at Lacock.

Hope that might be some help.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you glencare, Thought maybe that may be the case. Appreciate your suggestions.
Regards, Syljun

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Can you access the Enumerator's List that covers Albert's 1911 Census entry?

If you use Find My Past - display Albert's 1911 Census image. Bottom right hand corner click on "Related Images" and then click on "List". Wondered if he might be linked to the "Private House" surrounded by lodge, gardener's cottage etc?

You can access the "Enumerator's List" on "A*****y" I believe - but I'm not familiar with their way of doing things. 

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 August 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a copy of Transcript of 1911 Census  but not original bought 2009 when they were charging 30 credits for original and ten for transcript if my memory serves me. At the moment I do not have a sub. so looking for original is out unfortunately. Must wait for next £1.00 offer. Took up last one and did not untick box so was charged for a month and just wasted searches. Have never subscribed to Ancestry, only FindMyPast.
Thanks, Syljun

Thank you Glencare. That article was very interesting. Syljun

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Syljun

There are only 47 entries for Notton Laycock on the 1911. Unfortunately, as the place appears to be  small, no individual addresses are given. However I have found 2 x Domestic Coachmen, a Head Gardener, a Gardener, and a Groom/Gardener among the inhabitants.

The only likely employer I can see is a William Lowther Lysley who is listed with wife & children and 6 house servants. He is a Land Agent from Yorkshire and aged 35. If he still uses a coach and horses is he likely to have a chauffeur? On the other hand he might be trying out the new technology!

There is a 20 strong contingent of the Royal Marine Light Infantry listed, but they are under the charge of a Captain. I wouldn't have thought he would be likely to have a chauffeur?

Best I can do I'm afraid!

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
PS

I have just tracked William Lysley back to 1881. His father was a William G Lysley (Magistrate and Barrister not in practise). The family are living at Princes Gate, St George Hanover Square with eight servants. Not short of a bob or two then!

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, going back to 1901 Census Albert was a "Footman" at Stourhead in employ of Henry H.A. Hoare
In brackets after name looked like (Bart) Landowner and Bank Director.Age 35. Lots of Servants.

Albert obviously went up in the world to become Chauffeur. Would he have driven one of those new fangled Motor Cars. Oh I would love to have a photo.  Albert was my Grandfather's brother.
Syljun