Author Topic: Marriage look up advice COMPLETED  (Read 7062 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up advice
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Pettsy

I presume that the John Munn listed didn't have the correct parents.

Why do you think he survived? It might be worth putting a request on the armed forces board, just in case. There are some very knowledgeable researchers on that board - I've had some very good leads from them. There  would at least be his WW1 medal cards.

Recap - Now what we have is a John Munn, b. circa 1885. parents - James Mun and Margaret McAulay. His other four brothers died in WW1 but you think that he survived. He may have married - but to whom and when and where.

Have you got him on the 1891 and 1901 censuses? This would give us some idea of a possible occupation/residence at the time of a possible marriage.

Local newspapers might also be of use - especially on men who went to war. have you tried the local libraries?

Enough for you to be going on with ...

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Yes the wrong parents were listed for John.

I thought he survived the war, as I had help from the local history library, he said four of the brothers were killed in WW1.
I knew my great grandfather was as his medals are in the family, so we know his army number etc...

I have birth certs for all five brothers, and death certs for four who died in WW1 overseas.
I have nothing on John yet, but on SP I found a death for a John Munn, born 1885/6 killed 1917.
His parents will not be on the death cert, as they are not on the four brothers  ??? and there is no image to view on SP.
I can send off for a cert, but not sure what it will tell me.  ???

I have all the family on the 1891 and 1901 census, their mother died in 1906.
In 1901 the were all living at 44 NEW STREET, Old Kilpatrick, Duntocher,  John was 15, he and Daniel worked with sewing machines (shuttle makers) so they would have worked at the Singers factory, as did my g grandfather before the war.
I am going to ask the local library again, and try clydebank.
I am sure if all five brothers were killed there would be something in the local paper regarding this.

Thank you for you help, you make it sound so easy  ;)

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy

I notice that his father died 1945, you should be able to find an obituary for him in the local newspapers - it was a fairly widespread practice by then. This would give you an indication as to whether John was still alive.

Another though is that John could have married elsewhere in Scotland or even England if he enlisted during WW1. The Eng & Wales index won't tell you much at all though. It might be worth using up a few more units to check other John Munn marriages in Scotland.

Sorry - it's not easy - it's a hard slog  :( but worthwhie in the end if you find him  :)

Good Luck

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
I've just checked the WW1 medal cards. There are 6 John Munns who are listed as in Scottish Regiments.

The list can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/pnfpl

If you know which regiments his brother's served in, it might narrow down the search.

Gadget

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I have found where his father is buried, in a cemetery in Lochgilphead, he is buried alone, and the lair was owned by his daughter Margaret.
I have not looked for an obituary for him, so I will do that.
He was living in Risk St Home, before moving up to Lochgilphead.
He moved into an Asylum as he was senile towards the end (as stated on death cert)

If John did move to England, I will not find him until the 1921 census come out  :o

I have tried looking at the medal cards, all the four brothers were in different regiments, and on their death, the CWGC states no parents, I added on my great grandfathers detail as I had his birth, death and obituary which they needed. I sent it to them and it was changed.
I hope to do the same with the other brothers, once Glasgow Evening Times is up dated at the Mitchell (end of Aug)

The brothers were Andrew Munn Royal Engineers (my g grandfather)
Walter Munn KOSB 1st Bn
Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) 8th Bn
Highland Light Infantry 1st Bn

I did find a John who was killed in 1917, with the Cameron's.
He was born in 1885 like my John, and born in Kilmaronock, but on the Index it states Kilamrnock.
It could be a mistake, as Andrew's on had a mistake regarding area.

Thank you for all you help, and advice, I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!  ;)

I just wish the medal cards would list d.o.b

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
That 1917 death looks a strong possibility, Pettsy.

If I were you I'd check out if there was another John Munn born in 1885 besides yours. If not, then sadly, he is likely to be yours.

Gadget

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 19:14 BST (UK) »
Why didn't I think of that Gadget  :-[
I will do that now.

Thank you.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
I just looked.
Ok there were no John Munn's born in Kilmarnock (Ayr)
Only one in Kilmaronock (Dunbarton)

I did 3 years either side, so it seems it is our John and the memorial made a mistake and wrote Kilmarnock instead of Kilmaronock (which is no longer on the map)

Thank you, I think we have sorted it out.

Regards

Pettsy  ;)
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
So poor John died then.

Gadget