Author Topic: Samuel Alexander and Bridget Kilday  (Read 15699 times)

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Alexander and Bridget Kilday
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 September 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca

Andrew & Isabella (Glass) Alexander were the couple. They married Australia 1856. I believe that Andrew was a Doctor & Ship's Surgeon. Both signed the marriage record for my x 3 Gt. Uncle. On my to do list when I can afford it, is to buy their OZ marriage record ,and compare signatures

My relative married a girl whose family  emigrated  from Stirlingshire. He left England in 1856 for the USA, and 2 years later was in Australia.  I believe that Andrew Alexander was also on the same ship, travelling back from the USA to OZ.

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca,
Pleased to have been able to help.
Why did you think in your original post that Samuel's father was called Samuel Alexander? Does Samuel Kilday Alexander give this name for his father when he marries?
There is a man called Samuel Alexander age 37 in Kirkintilloch at the 1881 Census but I think he could be married with a family.

Looby :)

Hi Looby,

:). Samuel Kilday Alexander, on his marriage cert has Samuel Alexander Iron Foundry Labourer (deceased) as Father and Bridget Alexander,M.S Kilday (deceased) as his Mother.

I wonder if there may be some connection?

Francesca

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 September 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca

Andrew & Isabella (Glass) Alexander were the couple. They married Australia 1856. I believe that Andrew was a Doctor & Ship's Surgeon. Both signed the marriage record for my x 3 Gt. Uncle. On my to do list when I can afford it, is to buy their OZ marriage record ,and compare signatures

My relative married a girl whose family  emigrated  from Stirlingshire. He left England in 1856 for the USA, and 2 years later was in Australia.  I believe that Andrew Alexander was also on the same ship, travelling back from the USA to OZ.

Hi lemur41,

I believe that my Grandfathers siblings didn't emigrate until the 1950's or 1960's however I will keep this in mind as you never know :).

Thanks again,

Francesca

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 September 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca,
Pleased to have been able to help.
Why did you think in your original post that Samuel's father was called Samuel Alexander? Does Samuel Kilday Alexander give this name for his father when he marries?
There is a man called Samuel Alexander age 37 in Kirkintilloch at the 1881 Census but I think he could be married with a family.

Hi Looby,

:). Samuel Kilday Alexander, on his marriage cert has Samuel Alexander Iron Foundry Labourer (deceased) as Father and Bridget Alexander,M.S Kilday (deceased) as his Mother.

I wonder if there may be some connection?

Francesca

Hi again Francesca,
Could be that Samuel Kilday Alexander made up his father's name and occupation for the Marriage Certificate ;). It happened ... my own family tree has a couple of probable "fictitious"  fathers back in the early 1900's.
Then again maybe he believed a Samuel Alexander was his father. He may have had some acquaintance with his father for all we know!
It would be interesting to know the occupation of the Samuel Alexander age 37 on the 1881 at Kirkintilloch. The fact that Samuel has his "father" as deceased when he marries may not be true. It could be a convenient fib to explain his father's absence.
I also noted that Bridget has a 3rd son listed by CaroleW as James A Kilday on the 1901 Census. I wonder if the A stood for Alexander??

Good hunting,

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 September 13 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have a lot to do ;D. I think something like this is the most likely but who knows? Thanks for pointing this out, I am going to take a look at Samuel on the 1881 census and the 1901 census for James and see what they say.

Much appreciated,

Francesca

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 September 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry Francesca  :-[

Samuel Alexander age 37 is on the 1891 Census not the 81.
I got a bit muddled with my dates :-[

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 September 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Looby,

Here is the 1891 census for Samuel occupation.

Francesca

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 September 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
This is for James A.

Francesca  :)

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 September 13 20:25 BST (UK) »
 ??? Could this be Bridget? in 1863?                                                                                               

Biddy KILDAY (F)......................  B: 7 Jul 1863                                                                           
           Father: Cornelius KILDAY                 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland                                                   
           Mother: Mary MC AULAY             

Bridget KILDAY (F)....................  B: 10 Aug 1857                                                                         
           Father: Anthony KILDAY                   Calton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland                                                   
           Mother: Margaret HOROTHA                                                                                                     

Bridget KILDAY (F)....................  B: 26 Jan 1859                                                                         
           Father: Patrick KILDAY                   Uphall, West Lothian, Scotland                                                       
           Mother: Bridget BYRNE                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Francesca