Author Topic: Long shot - HAY of Perthshire emigrated to Canada  (Read 4404 times)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Long shot - HAY of Perthshire emigrated to Canada
« on: Wednesday 28 September 11 06:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to wade through conflicting unsourced material and would appreciate any help.

Family HAY - emigrated from Perthshire Scotland to Toronto in 1831.

Robert b 1771 Rhynd, Perthshire Scotland
wife Elizabeth HENDERSON b 1771, Abernethy parish, Perthshire, Scotland

children:
Elizabeth 1797
Ann 1800
Thomas 1802
Bettrice 1804
Margaret 1806
Robert 1808
Jean (Jane) 1812

Robert & Elizabeth and daughter Margaret died in the cholera epidemic of 1832.

Now for the conflict:

Daughter Ann HAY is reported to have married John Christie of York County, adn had a daughter Elizabeth, 14 Jun 1832, christened 8 Jul 1832 at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Toronto.

She is also reported to have married a Robert Christie around May 1829 (BEFORE the family emigrated) in Coupar Angus, Perthshire, and had a son, Thomas,  15 Jun 1830.

Can anyone confirm either of these marriages and children?

When Ann emigrated, she came as a HAY which would not be out of line, even if she had married in Scotland, but the young Thomas was not with them - as near as I can tell - does anyone have the ability to view the emigration record?  The source for emigration is WHYTE, DONALD. A Dictionary Of Scottish Emigrants To Canada Before Confederation. Vol. 3. Toronto: The Ontario Genealogical Society, 2002. page 44, publication code 8655.50.  (I only have access to an index)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Holly
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Long shot - HAY of Perthshire emigrated to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I don't know if you are still hunting for details, but on familysearch.org there is a marriage of an Ann Hay to a Robert Christie 16 May 1829, Perth, Perthshire.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Robert Christie Weaver in Coupar Angus married in Perth 1829 Ann Hay daughter to Robert Hay Farm Servant in Aberdalgie.Banns of marriage were published in Coupar Angus and Perth.
Thomas was born to the couple in Coupar Angus in 1830.
Ann Hay born 1800 in Tibbermore was one of the eight children born to Robert Hay and Beatrice(Becky)Henderson.Their last child Jean was born in Aberdalgie 1812.
The children's names fit those in the shipping record you mentioned apart from a John b1798 in Rhynd who doesn't appear.
Possibly Robert Christie and son Thomas died before Ann left for Canada  but death records are few and far between for this period :'(

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 November 13 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Now for the conflict:

Daughter Ann HAY is reported to have married John Christie of York County, adn had a daughter Elizabeth, 14 Jun 1832, christened 8 Jul 1832 at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Toronto.

She is also reported to have married a Robert Christie around May 1829 (BEFORE the family emigrated) in Coupar Angus, Perthshire, and had a son, Thomas,  15 Jun 1830.

Can anyone confirm either of these marriages and children?

The Whyte dictionary indicates Ann Hay was married first to Robert Christie and second to Peter Paton of New Lowell, Ontario.

Ancestry has a marriage for a Peter Paton to Anne Iley on 29 Apr 1834 in Toronto but looking at the image of the entry it could be Hay. I've also found death entries at Family Search for Robert Paton, son of Peter Paton and Ann Hay who was born in New Lowell (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J6MP-78B) and Ann Macham, daughter of Peter Paton and Ann Hay (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JKW4-JT5) so it would appear that marriage is for the Ann Hay referenced in the Whyte dictionary.  There is also marriages for Andrew Paton, son of Peter Paton and Ann Hay (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMFR-CJ1).

Ann Paton died 16 Oct 1884 and at the bottom of the entry there is a note that says she was the sister of Robert Hay, MP for Toronto. This is an excerpt from a bio for Robert Hay:

HAY, ROBERT, cabinet-maker, furniture manufacturer, and politician; b. 18 May 1808 in the parish of Tibbermore, Newbigging (Tayside), Scotland, the youngest child of Robert Hay and Bettrice Henderson

Here's a link to the full bio at the Dictionary of Canadian Biography website:
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio.php?id_nbr=5574

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Well!

Thank you all for your replies, and the wonderful information which solved this.

Sorry to Shirl and Cambron that I didn't respond sooner.  I had an accident that had me out of commission for several months, and I just never got back to the Hays.

Cheers,
Holly
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven