Author Topic: DNA to trace Fathers mothers line?  (Read 710 times)

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DNA to trace Fathers mothers line?
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
I have read through the DNA links here and am just more confused than before I started.  LOL.  I have been interested in doing a DNA test for a while as I was adopted and until recently knew nothing about my family.  But voila I have found my mother/father and brother recently.  I am most interested in tracing my Fathers Mothers line but am also interested in the other lines.  What DNA test would be best to use, who gives the most specific info?  I dont want a test that just says what proportions of what continent my family is from, etc...   I would also love to have it be able to link up my relatives to find new ones.  I noticed the ancestry.com tests are on sale right now but dont see much info about what exactly it would tell me.  Does anyone have examples of the different tests to see what it tells you?  Thoughts/suggestions?  Who would be best to have take the test.  My brother and father would be willing if I need a male line. 

Thanks
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA to trace Fathers mothers line?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 07:33 BST (UK) »
To trace your father's mother's line [ your grandmother ] you would need to test a direct female line descendant of your grandmother.
 Have a look at this, it explains better than I can.  http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/chromosomes/
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
Despite what some sites may allude to there is no, repeat no DNA test that can prove one person is a parent of another.
The tests can prove a person is not a parent of another and that a person may be the parent but that is all.

Withe regard to DNA and family history research I would place such tests in the same position as transcripts of records.
I.E. something to be used with caution and understanding of the flaws in the system.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
The test that would be most appropriate for you would be the autosomal or family finder test. This test looks at the DNA inherited from both lines male and female and as such only produces meaningful results up to about five generations back.

I have done this test myself and matched with a fourth cousin once removed who America who was doing her family tree as she was adopted and wanted to fill in the gaps. We successfully proved by paper records that the results of the DNA test were "accurate". (Fortunately my match did know something of her birth parents history)

However even if you do take the test it will be a long shot to get a match, but if the results are taken with a company like ftdna.com for example then they remain on file and may match at some time in the future. I would suggest you have a look at the ftDNA.com website and see if that helps you further. (Yes I declare an interest in that that was the company I tested with)

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.