Author Topic: Sederunt - legal document  (Read 1143 times)

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sederunt - legal document
« on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I have an 1857 legal document which appoints someone to look after the business affairs of another while he is out of the country. However the appointment is made on 25th March and is only until "the fifth sederunt day in May next". I would guess that a sederunt day refers to the sitting of a court but would appreciate confirmation from anyone with legal knowledge. I also am unclear as to whether "May next" refers to the following year, 1858, or is it May 1857? Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sederunt - legal document
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:06 GMT (UK) »
In Scots usage, especially at that time, the nearest May would be called the "first May". The following May would be "next May". "Sederunt" is Latin for "they sat" and appears in documents before the list of those present. It also comes to mean an official sitting of a body.

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sederunt - legal document
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's helpful. Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.