Author Topic: MAESNYADWEN HALL - Llanbadarn fynydd  (Read 8015 times)

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MAESNYADWEN HALL - Llanbadarn fynydd
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 05:23 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone with local knowledge has ever heard of the name of this hall
" MAESNYADWEN HALL "

I have looked at the maps, and nothing jumps out at me. It is written quite clear in the 1861 census.

RG9/4236 Folio 8 Page 9

I have family living at this residence, Owen Lewis, who's occupation was a builder & Contractor - employing 4 Masons, 5 Carpenters, 3 plasterer's, 4 labourers and 3 boys.

I just wonder if he was employed to fix up this Hall?? and took up residence??
Owen Lewis, other than his wife has six male lodgers, whom I'm sure we're in his employment.

Has any one ever come across a situation like the one above??
Thank you
Jane
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.
Yorkshire, surname "Burniston"
Devon, Somerset and Cardiff Glamorgan surname "Wide"

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MAESNYADWEN HALL - Llanbadarn fynydd
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Have you considered Pen Ithon Hall? Geographically it seems to be in the right area. May have been recently aquired by the Haig family.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0203/

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 07 06:56 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Kmo - your link, made me look further.

I found a Maesderwen Nr Brecon, which belonged to the De Winton Family. Later Years is known as Maesderwen Brecon.

So back to searching for a map to find the right location.
Your link was very much appreciated
Thanks Jane
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kmo,
Well after all these years!! Looks like you were right and Maesnyadwen Hall is known today as the Pen Ithon Hall. I can't track down any records prior to 1858 when George A Haig purchased the Estate. I did find records stating it was purchased in 1858 and did not move in until 1863 after renovations were completed. The relationship between Lewis and Haig did not end there. Lewis was engaged in London by George Haig to Design and built the Corinthian Bazaar on Argyle St, London. So this tidbit of information confirmed that my ancestor Owen Lewises design of the facade of the Corinthian was kept it is the frontage of the London Palladium.
All this came about due to new records being posted on line - I just love this digital era!
Many Thanks Jane

Offline rhogo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
George Augustus Haig did indeed buy  Penithon Estate in 1858  and built a new house , now Penithon Hall which he and his family moved into in 1862.He also built the village of LLaithddu to house his estate workers and the school to educate their children.My great  g grandfather, g grandfather and granfather all worked for the Haigs and there are family still employed there now! My mother and I believe her mother went to Llaithddu school.Estate was originally some 2000 acres but most sold off in 1946 and now only consists of the hall, two cottages and about 110 acres and owned in trust by descendants of the Haig family as a holiday home.