Author Topic: C19th - Carlton in Cleveland - Schoolmistress  (Read 830 times)

Offline mike1979

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
C19th - Carlton in Cleveland - Schoolmistress
« on: Friday 12 September 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Would be grateful for some advice on one of the families I'm researching.

I have family living in Carlton-in-Cleveland on the 1851 census (and '41 and afterwards) listed as;

John Stephenson - 49 - Ag labourer
Elizabeth Stephenson - 47 - schoolmistress
Jane Stephenson - 12

I'd be interested to know if there were any further records I could look at which might tell me more about Elizabeth and her profession as a schoolmistress in Carlton-in-Cleveland (she was listed as such throughout her life on census returns).

The other families I have in Carlton-in-Cleveland were farmers - I wonder if there are any land records (tithe etc) or wills relating to this area online.

Many thanks for any leads
Mike

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: C19th - Carlton in Cleveland - Schoolmistress
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
There is reference to the village of Carlton in The History and Antiquities of Cleveland by J.Shotton page 440-442.

The dates are not relevent your query but may be of interest, In 1841 it contained 63 house 259 inhabitants and was 830 acres, There is a reference to the village maypole as the last lingering relic of the ancient sports of our forefathers.
"The school contained 50 scholars from the parishes of Carlton and Faceby who are taught reading,writing and arithmetic, it is conducted at the expense of C.Reeve esq. and the Rev.Thomas Browne, the latter of whom has the sole management"

James