Author Topic: What is the best way to find Scottish ancestors?  (Read 5424 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best way to find Scottish ancestors?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
...There are no births showing in 1925 for a Joseph Wilson in Kirkcaldy (or elsewhere in Fifeshire...so maybe name not that overly common  ;)). More reason to take it a stage at a time. It could well be that birth year was incorrectly noted (Craclyn has already mentioned possible births in 1924) or birth place was different than that noted on his death cert.

Hard to say at this stage isn't.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Ah...sorry missed last post. So he married in Salford. Is your partner's grandmother deceased now? If so, what was her surname? You might get clues on Joseph's mother's name from the names of his children (if they followed Scottish naming pattern which can often give further clues).

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:44 BST (UK) »

I completely forgot about marriage certs that they will have parents names on them, would the parents names still be on even if they were not around do you know?

English marriage certs should include father's name for bride and groom. Should also include normally occupation and often whether father was alive or deceased.

Scottish marriage certs include both mother's full name and father's details which helps further  ::)

Monica

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
The 1924 birth I mentioned was at Scoonie in the district of Kirkaldy. It is quite common for a nearby larger town to be named as a a location on census documents etc when those doing the enumeration or registration in another part of the country are not familiar with the names of small towns or villages.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Could well be that one, Cracklyn  :) Couldn't easily see anything for 1925.

Monica

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 August 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
I do have some new information that Joe's dad was also called Joe/Joseph Wilson and his mum Janet "Jenny/Jinny" Stevenson/(a relative said Steventom but i cant find that even being a sur name), his mum was married before his dad to a John Hart who died in WW1, but obviously there are so many John Harts from scotland that died in WW1! Typical haha. I have searched and searched between all these names and its proving difficult, i just dont know where to go from here!
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 August 14 15:06 BST (UK) »
With the new details you have regarding names, have you tried searching for a marriage in Scotland for Joseph Wilson Snr and Janet Stevenson?

There is only one showing between 1913-1930 and this is in Stirlingshire in 1924 which would fit well. You can view this image online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 August 14 15:09 BST (UK) »
There is also a marriage for a Janet Stevenson to a John Hart in 1912, like above, also in Stirlingshire.

If you view both marriage certs online, you can compare Janet's parents' names. Also, Janet's marriage to Joseph in 1924 should have her as a widow.

Scottish marriage certs include both father and mother's full names for bride and groom.

Monica

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much Monica! :) The 1912 marriage you sent me has led me to the people i needed to start that side, the family have also got threads on this site too also which has helped with me knowing the names! thankyou again :)
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe