Author Topic: What do the following items on a Scottish Birth Certificate mean?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What do the following items on a Scottish Birth Certificate mean?
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
The following clipping has two items recorded which I do not understand and hope someone will be able to assist please?

Under the name of "Isabella Cargill Peatman" is "M S Keith".  What does that mean? 

Under this is a statement "1870 December 9th Weymss" what does this mean please? 

Westy11

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What do the following items on a Scottish Birth Certificate mean?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
The title at the top shows you what they are: her maiden name and when/where they got married.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Ahhh Richard - that was embarrassing - I MUST get glasses as I couldn't read that.  :-[

Thanks for coming to my rescue

Westy11

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 August 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
And the parish in which they were married is spelt Wemyss, although it's pronounced Weemz. One of those difficult Scottish names whose true pronunciation you could never guess! Wemyss parish includes the villages of West Wemyss, East Wemyss, Coaltown of Wemyss, Buckhaven, Methil and Methilhill and probably other places I've forgotten, but the certificate will tell you exactly where they were married. Probably in the bride's home, which was the norm in Scotland.

Harry

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 August 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Your information about Wemyss parish and its pronunciation was interesting hdw. I have just come across an ancestor in Northumberland with surname recorded with alternatives Wemyss, Weymes, Weams and Weans. Maybe if I manage to follow that line back far enough I may find it originated in the Wemyss parish that you refer to :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 August 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
Harry

Thanks for the correction: well spotted...

Westy11

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 August 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
Your information about Wemyss parish and its pronunciation was interesting hdw. I have just come across an ancestor in Northumberland with surname recorded with alternatives Wemyss, Weymes, Weams and Weans. Maybe if I manage to follow that line back far enough I may find it originated in the Wemyss parish that you refer to :)

I'm afraid you are very unlikely to be able to trace your surname back to an individual in the early Middle Ages. Unless you belong to the aristocracy, of course! The head of the Wemyss family is the Earl of Wemyss and March. They trace themselves back to a Michael Wemyss of Methil who died in 1202.

The name comes from the Gaelic word for "cave" (uamh), and East Wemyss is famous for its sea-caves with carvings on the walls dating from the Dark Ages. There's also a Weem in Perthshire and Pittenweem (place of the caves) in east Fife.

Harry

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:22 BST (UK) »

It is most probable it was a name given to a stranger in some other town who had originally come from Wemyss.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:28 BST (UK) »

I'm afraid you are very unlikely to be able to trace your surname back to an individual in the early Middle Ages. Unless you belong to the aristocracy, of course! The head of the Wemyss family is the Earl of Wemyss and March. They trace themselves back to a Michael Wemyss of Methil who died in 1202.

The name comes from the Gaelic word for "cave" (uamh), and East Wemyss is famous for its sea-caves with carvings on the walls dating from the Dark Ages. There's also a Weem in Perthshire and Pittenweem (place of the caves) in east Fife.

Harry

My comment was a little "tongue in cheek" Harry. I was not seriously expecting any connection to Wemyss nobility :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn