Author Topic: Mounsey/Armstrong  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mounsey/Armstrong
« on: Monday 16 September 13 08:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage between Lancelot Mounsey born around 1779 in Castle Sowerby and Ann Armstrong born around 1808 in Scotland. They had a daughter Margaret in 1835 in Canonbie, Dumfries (found on Scotlands people) where both names are listed, does this mean they were not married at the time?
Lancelot was living on his own at Castle Sowerby in 1841 census, cannot find Ann or Margaret but by the 1851 census Lancelot and Ann are living as man and wife with Margaret and their first son Lancelot who was born 1849 at Oughterside in Cumberland. They went on to have 2 more sons before Lancelot died, he was nearly 30 years older than Ann.
Thank you.
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mounsey/Armstrong
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 13 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Their marriage is not listed in Scotlands People, so they were possibly married in England.
The OPR normally lists mother's maiden name rather than married name, which is very helpful.
If a child is born out of wedlock, it is called 'natural' son or daughter, with very often both parents listed.

On the night of June 6,1841, listed as living at Blaecraiggs 2 in the Parish of Canonbie Census:
Margaret Mouncy, aged 5
Ann Armstrong, no occupation, aged 30, who must be Ann's mother
Jane Armstrong, agricultural labourer, aged 40
James Armstrong, agricultural labourer, aged 80
Note that the census enumerators were instructed to round down ages to the nearest five on the 1841 Census for anyone over the age of 15.
The above gives us a clue to Ann's family. It would seem likely that Ann was looking after her aging father, who appears to have been widowed, while Lancelot might have had to seek work elsewhere.

I looked for Ann's birth elsewhere in Scotland than Canonbie, as she is not listed in the OPR there. I found an Ann Armstrong born 27 Oct 1808, chr 6 Nov 1808 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland, daughter of James Armstrong and Mary Clemison. This is the only one listed with a father named James.
However, given the above listed age, if accurate, Ann may have been born in 1806 to as early as 1801. Not all births were listed in the OPR, of course. And she could have been born in England.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Armstrongs of Canonbie & Debatable Land, Eskdale, Ewesdale, Liddesdale, Annandale, Cumberland

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mounsey/Armstrong
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, that is very helpful.
I can now go back and have another delve into their ancestry.
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle