Author Topic: SALLISS family  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SALLISS family
« on: Saturday 08 August 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the parents of Jacob Salliss who states he was born in Eastington around 1790 -1794.

I have found a marriage for Isaac Salliss to a Jane Hayward in 1780 at Preston nr. Cirencester.

I am sure this couple are connected to Jacob as the name Hayward appears as a middle name in later generations  but I cannot make the link.

I have also found a Joseph H.Salliss born c. 1784 at Easenton so feel sure he is Joseph Hayward Salliss whose death was registered in 1856 in Cheltenham.

Are Jacob and Joseph sons of Isaac and Jane I wonder and are there any more siblings?.  Only the baptism records for Eastington will tell me.  Does anyone have access to them please?

The names of Joseph, Isaac, Jabez and Elijah all seem to crop  up a lot.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth

Edit:  I have just realised that the Eastington parish records are on IGI but linked with Alkerton (which threw me) and sadly there is not a Salliss in sight.

Either the children were not baptised or else they were baptised elsewhere. 

Does this mean I have to trawl through all the Gloucestershire baptisms pre 1812 on IGI or does someone have access to Glos. baptisms and could give me a clue as to which village I would find some Salliss in?

I will check out the registers at Gloucester when next in UK but  it would save a lot of time if someone could help.

Many thanks for reading this edit.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: SALLISS family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Long time no see!
I've interrogated the Glos Family History Society (GFHS) Gloucestershire Burial Index, and I think the strongest base for the SALLISS family is St Peter, Dumbleton. There are also pockets in Alderton, Forthampton, Tewkesbury Cemetery & Willersey.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor,

Nice to hear from you again, as you say it has been a long time, so I hope your health has fully recovered now.

I have not found the information I was looking for and have moved on to other parts of the family tree, as one does when a brick wall is reached.  You have reignited my interest in the Salliss family so I will investigate further the villages you have highlighted and see what transpires although I vaguely remember discounting a family from that area.  However, it is worth looking at it again.

Thanks again and I will let know if I find anything positive.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Please don't hesitate to ask on this post if I can do a lookup in any of the above parishes.
My health is quite good at the moment.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Victor.  I may well do that once my family have gone back to UK and I can get back to researching again.

Glad to hear your health is quite good at present.

Thanks again,
Elizabeth

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Bonjour. It suddenly occurs to me that I also have the SOLLIS family on my tree.
I start with Henry SOLLIS b.1807, Gotherington, Bishops Cleeve, Cheltenham, married to Hannah Attwood, b.1808, Teddington, 21st September, 1829, at St Mary, Cheltenham (now a Minster).
Children: Ann b.1830, Robert Henry b.1831, William b.1832, Ellen E. b.1832, Amy b.1836, John Edward b.1839, Henry b.1840, Jane b.1841, Juliana b.1843, Sarah b.1845, Mary b.1846, John Edward b.1848, Elizabeth b.1850.
Any chance of an interface?
Victor

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor,

I am sorry to say that none of the Sollis names match with any of my Salliss entries.  I am still convinced that they originate from somewhere between Cirencester and Eastington, so with that in mind I shall start (again) searching all the villages along the A419.  If I find nothing then I will branch out and start on the Dumbleton area as you have suggested.

I am afraid it will all have to wait for a few weeks until my family have gone back home.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
OK, I await a positive result, and my offer of lookups at Glos Archives still stands.
Victor