Author Topic: Maerdy War Memorial  (Read 8419 times)

Offline RugbyOL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maerdy War Memorial
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
By accident I found this Forum whilst looking for details of Maerdy War Memorial.  I was born in Maerdy and still visit many times a year.  While tracing my family history I found out that my great uncle Morgan Jones was killed in Flanders on 7th October 1918.  His number was 51617 and he was with the Royal Garrison Artillery.  Along with his parents and 6 siblings he lived at 25 Pentre Road before joining up.  I wonder if he's on observer1945's list. PS - this is the first time I've used a forum on RootsChat so apologies if I haven't followed conventions.

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
He is on the list, there is also a photograph of him on Facebook, did you put it on?

Best Wishes Bethan

Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline RugbyOL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 August 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Bethan thanks for your reply.  I didn't post the photograph.  I'll take a look.  Mike

Offline RugbyOL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 August 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Bethan Just looked at the Maerdy Memorial site on Facebook but couldn't find the photo.  I'm sure I'm not looking in the correct place.  Can you help please?  Mike

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 August 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rugby I gave you the wrong site, it is on this one, you have to scroll down the page a little

it is the Glamorgan family history site

Best wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline saplings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:06 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to a campaign in Maerdy to secure a permanent memorial naming the 72 who lost their lives in WW1 and WW2
http://igg.me/p/1011686/x

Offline saplings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
John Thomas has further info and also link to book http://www.postersandstuff.co.uk/page15.htm for Maerdy War Memorial hope it helps

Offline observer1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 January 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE ON MAERDY WAR MEMORIAL, WE ARE JUST ABOUT REACHING OUR TARGET TO FUND THE MEMORIAL, JUST APPROX £3000 SHORT BUT HAVE INSTRUCTED  THE MONUMENTAL MASON AND SET A DATE FOR THE COMPLETION AND DEDICATION OF THE MEMORIAL ON MAY 10TH 2015.THE MEMORIAL WILL HAVE ALL THE NAMES OF THOSE FROM THE VILLAGE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN WW1 WW2 AND SUBSEQUENT WARS IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY. AT LAST THEIR NAMES WILL BE REMEMBERED WITHIN THE VILLAGE, John Thomas. (OBSERVER1945)