Author Topic: Marriage look up advice COMPLETED  (Read 7045 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up advice
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 August 06 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Here is an update.
I contacted Dunbarton local history library with my find.
The man agrees it is most likely a mistake on the soldiers who died cd.
They put place of birth a Kilmarnock, instead of Kilmaronock.

I have since received photo's of John Munn's memorial in Tyne Cot Cemetery, Belgium.
I have photo's of all four, that just leaves Baghdad, but I would think the head stone would be rubble now, going by the photo's I have seen of Basra cemetery.

Clydebank library looked at the index for the war years, no mention of the five brothers being killed  ???
Not sure where to look now.

I am awaiting a reply regarding James Munn, their father.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 August 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy

Glad you're getting there  :)

Like you, I don't think that the Baghdad monument will have survived but you could try.

Hope you get more info on James. I have managed to get quite a few obits of my lot and, when they list mourners and potted life stories, they are a great source.

Good luck

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 August 06 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I have e mailed for info on their mother, Margaret Munn nee McAulay's obituary too.

It is a grave in Baghdad, not a memorial, which makes it worst in a way, God only knows what the locals would do to the grave/headstone  >:(
I have seen photo's on a war website, and the stones are smashed up, RUBBLE  :'( the Blackwatch were at Basra cemetery trying to repair and make good, and they ere surprised to see the memorial still standinf with names of Black Watch soldiers on (WW1)

Still 4 out of 5 photo's is not too bad.
If you are after grave or memorial pic's, have a look at the great war forum.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 September 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
No obituary for their mother, as the library told me they never done them for women in 1906, unless they were rich and upper class.

Cannot find one for James Munn either, who died in 1945  ???
Maybe I will have to contact Lochgilphead Library.

I have decided to hve a look on SP to see if any of the other three brothers were married.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up advice COMPLETED
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 September 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
It shows that you should never give up.  Today I decided to have a look on SP for a birth and death cert, while there and as I had some spare credits I looked for a John Munn on the 1911 Census, I found him, John Munn 26, with his wife Cecilia 37, and daughter Cecilia 1 living in Glasgow. I looked up their marriage certificate to check it was them, and it was, they were married in 1908. Now I need to find out if they had any more children before John was killed in WW1 and what happened to his wife and daughter.

John was a Restaurateur.
Munn New Jersey and Oz