Author Topic: Missing great grandma from Doncaster street, maryhill  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Cathreeny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing great grandma from Doncaster street, maryhill
« on: Sunday 11 August 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
I am on a quest to try and solve a family mystery. My great grandma was called maggie Wilson, born around 1884 possibly in old kilpatrick area. She married Samuel Kennedy probably about 1903 and they had 3 children Jessie born 1904, James born 1910 and jean born approx 1914. They lived in Doncaster street, maryhill at the time of her disappearance in around 1916. She apparently left her family as she needed a break but never reached her planned destination and was ever seen again. The family were supported by a good neighbour called mrs darroch. I am really unsure what route to take to try and find answers. I would appreciate any advice offered. I know the names of maggies parents and siblings.

Ever hopeful

Catherine x

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing great grandma from Doncaster street, maryhill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
A mystery indeed. However, family stories have a habit of not always painting a true picture, so be prepared for whatever you might find. She could have died, she could have run off with someone, she could have gone to jail, she could even have been murdered, and she could just have done what the family story says she did.

I'd start by looking at ScotlandsPeople for her death: it's a pay to view site and the only way to access death certificates for Scotland. You might be best using Margaret as a first name, and selecting the name variations option open, and leaving surname blanks put putting Wilson into the space for other surname.

Unfortunately the latest census to be published is 1911, and the 1921 census won't be available to the public until 2021.

You could also try looking in the local newspaper for the time, if it's been digitised and put online, in case her disappearance was reported and written up.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine and welcome to the site,

I would agree with JMStrachan's post and have had a similar experience myself. I recently tracked down two missing gguncles (one to Australia and one to New Zealand) who vanished together from Ayrshire prior to WW1. There was a "family story" which had been passed down regarding these two brothers, but my research proved that the story was flawed and older family members had "disguised" the truth  :-X
So be prepared, just in case events deviate from the family story.

I would start by looking for Maggie's death exactly as suggested in the prior post. This could be costly on Scotlands People with the names of Margaret Wilson and Kennedy being very common. There are Scotlands People Centres, 3 I think, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Kilmarnock where all day access to the records costs £15, so that is something to consider.
Of course Maggie may not have died in Scotland. She could have gone to England, Ireland or abroad- although I don't know how easy it would have been to sail across Atlantic etc in 1916 being as it was slap bang in the middle of WW1. :-\
You mention Maggie left 3 children. Did they all marry? It might be worth looking at their marriage certs to see how Maggie is recorded (ie. deceased or not). Although not totally reliable, that could give you an idea if the family considered her dead or not when they married. Bear in mind Maggie's husband and the children might have had a better idea of Maggie's fate than was passed down through the next couple of generations.

Phew! Think I'll shut up now.

Best of luck with your research,
Looby  :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 August 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome , Catherine  :)

Scotlandspeople has a marriage Samuel Kennedy / Maggie Wilson 1905 Old Kilpatrick , Dunbarton.

Can't easily see a likely divorce for the couple on National Archives of Scotland(NRS) website.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Cathreeny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 August 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your advice everyone. It has been very useful and thought provoking. A trip to one of the dedicated centres would probably be my best way forward and also trying to find possible newspaper reports. Thanks to ev for that specific information, I will try and establish her exact date of birth also. I am really quite sceptical about my chances of success with this but I am doing it for my mum as she is determined to get answers. I hope she is not left too disappointed.
Thanks again.

Catherine Fraser
Stenhousemuir

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 August 13 20:10 BST (UK) »
Best wishes with your research Catherine.
Please don't be too sceptical, it's amazing the resources that are available to research both at Libraries ( The Mitchell Library would probably be your best port of call ) and online.
Please remember if you are stuck with anything or needing to bounce ideas around there are always Rootschatters happy to help including myself.
It might take you some time to establish what happened (took me years!)but I'm sure you'll find something out. In my case I found 1gguncle  in Australia but it was Rootchatters on the New Zealand board who solved the mystery of my second gguncle. :D

Another suggestion when you go to a SP Centre is to look for Samuel's death and see if Maggie is mentioned as deceased or divorced on his cert.

Let us know how you are progressing,

Looby :) (Linda)

Offline Cathreeny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 August 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi looby

Well that makes me feel more hopeful and determined. I will be delighted to keep you updated and thank you again, sincerely for your support.  I had a good feeling about his website when I found it and read all the posts.

Take care.

Catherine x

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 07:25 BST (UK) »
I see you are in Stenhousemuir. The SP centres are good but if not convenient then you can go to any Registrars office in Scotland, pay for an hour's searching and look at as many records as you want for any part of Scotland, including the more recent ones not on SP, using the DIGROS system. Best phone in advance.

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/chief_executive/governance/customer_and_development_services/registration_services/genealogy/genealogy.aspx

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 August 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I did a look a www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I could only find 1 death for a Maggie Wilson other surname Kennedy with a birth year of 1884

Yours Aye
BruceL

Added:  This Maggie died 1947 in Lanark