Author Topic: Voluntary Aid Detachment - Identification  (Read 9273 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Voluntary Aid Detachment - Identification
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi scrimnet

Thomas and Mary S Dykes are certainly given as JJ Dykes parents from that link that Ev posted
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic1411.html

Just trying to see where we would get to with the two VP of the VAD in Lanarkshire. Mrs WA Dykes I think connects well The Orchards. Still need to figure out Mrs Lee Dykes.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Possible for Mrs Lee Dykes (I am assuming she was Mrs?). From 1901:

Mary Lee Dykes 64, Living On Own Means b. England
Jeannie Ralston Stewart 24, servant
Margaret Henderson Kennedy 19 servant
Address: Alstonville Cadzow St, Hamilton

But there is problem with this entry  :-\ There is a Will & Testament entry on SP. This shows:
Mary Dykes, 13 Jan. 1905.  Other surname Lee. Alstonville Hamilton d. 24 April 1904. Hamilton Sherrif Court

There has to be another Mrs Lee Dykes around too given the dates mentioned of 1911-16 from here?

...BRCS Archives have advised me that in the Lanarkshire Branch between 1911 and 1916 a Mrs W.A. Dykes was Vice-President at Hamilton Detachment and Mrs Lee Dykes was Vice-President of East Kilbride Detachment.

Monica

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Scrimnet

There is no doubt as to the identity of Capt. Dykes as the original photograph came from his grandaughter.

Regarding Lord Roberts. Whilst I said that 'I' was 100% sure there were other doubters and I have to admit that the cap badge did leave a slight doubt in my mind but the important point is the purpose of the photo. Why did it require the inclusion of two service personal? Dykes, as I said, was a qualified doctor so the obvious assumption Medical Adviser. The elder gentleman appears to be a person of some importance commemorating the event.

Monica has made a reasonable suggestion - Is he the Deputy Lord Lieutenant and perhaps the Matron beside him may be his wife and even more remotely in the grounds of their home? There is every possibility that a Voluntary Aid Detachment was set up in Lanarkshire in 1911 before Wiliam Alston Dykes died.

Living way down on the  Sussex Coast my knowledge of Scottish affairs is very limited. Would I therefore be correct in assuming that Lanarkshire County Council would possibly hold records of such an event?

Tony

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 13 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Mention here www.s1strathaven.com/memories/strathaven-home-front-news-1914-1918.html

Red Cross Week: Mrs. Lee Dykes of East Overton, presided, and gave out a large quantity of wool and flannel, etc......

The mention of East Overton, Strathaven fits better with what showed on the link at 'warmemscot' (....Dykes was Vice-President at Hamilton and Mrs Lee Dykes was Vice-President at East Kilbride and Strathaven between 1911 and 1916).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 January 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Tony, can I just make an observation?

I am rubbish at dating photos in any respect, however, from the photos provided by family on http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic1411.html - have to say that if JJ Dykes was 29 when he died in 1915, he certainly looked much younger in that photo with the nurses than in the later photos you have for him, closer to his death.

Do you know when he enlisted?

Monica

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 January 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Monica

Two photos of him in Gallipoli

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 January 13 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those are the ones I saw and thought he looked much older. These would have been taken?

He finished his studies in 1909 from the snippet included on the other forum post linked?

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 January 13 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Scrimnet

There is no doubt as to the identity of Capt. Dykes as the original photograph came from his grandaughter.

Regarding Lord Roberts. Whilst I said that 'I' was 100% sure there were other doubters and I have to admit that the cap badge did leave a slight doubt in my mind but the important point is the purpose of the photo. Why did it require the inclusion of two service personal? Dykes, as I said, was a qualified doctor so the obvious assumption Medical Adviser. The elder gentleman appears to be a person of some importance commemorating the event.

Monica has made a reasonable suggestion - Is he the Deputy Lord Lieutenant and perhaps the Matron beside him may be his wife and even more remotely in the grounds of their home? There is every possibility that a Voluntary Aid Detachment was set up in Lanarkshire in 1911 before Wiliam Alston Dykes died.

Living way down on the  Sussex Coast my knowledge of Scottish affairs is very limited. Would I therefore be correct in assuming that Lanarkshire County Council would possibly hold records of such an event?

Tony

My first port of call would be the local newspaper archive... :)

On a Lord Lt or even a Dep Lord Lt, there would be gorget patches on the collars and a county device as the cap badge...not a Fusiliers badge...  ;)

The elder chap is in what is known as "undress" uniform of the day sans all his medals, therefore not a very important event, witnessed by Dykes younger in patrol jacket and Trews. He also isn't wearing a sword or indeed a sash or Sam Browne....Only the old boy is....
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline hannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Re: Voluntary Aid Detachment- identification.
Does anyone know how I could get the name of a nurses in the picture? The nurse behind the  younger man (at the one o'clock position) may be my grandmother.  Any information will be appreciated.  Thank you.  Hannah