Author Topic: British India, Lee & Wray surnames, Madras Presidency, "Hindoo Briton"  (Read 2607 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British India, Lee & Wray surnames, Madras Presidency, "Hindoo Briton"
« on: Sunday 10 August 14 01:41 BST (UK) »
I am doing some family history research for a friend of mine who, if I am right about a later match, is descended from the following couple in the 1881 census at 48 Princes St, Consett, Conside & Knitsley, Durham:

Terrence Lamb, 50, head, ironworker, born Monaghan Co Ireland
Mary A. Lamb, 45, wife, born Madrass India
Thomas Lamb, 19, son, born Monaghan Co Ireland
with other children.

I've found Thomas' baptism in Monaghan (my friend is actually descended from an older son John born about 1854 Monaghan Co but I can't find his baptism, at least without paying for an 1854 record to see what it says - any help would be appreciated):

Baptised 1860 Carrickmacross Father Terence Lamb Mother Mary Ann Lee.

I've found a baptism for Mary Ann Lee (my transcription):

Baptism Secunderabad, Madras Presidency 6 Mar 1838: "Mary daughter of Samuel Lee Store Sergeant H.H. Nizam's Service and Caroline his wife Hindoo Briton born on the 25th day of December 1837 was baptised in St John's Church".

I've found a marriage for Samuel and Caroline (my transcription) on 30 May 1825 Poonamallee, Madras Presidency:

"Samuel Lee Sergeant [??? word - any help would be appreciated] 69th Regt bachelor and Caroline Wray widow were married by banns".

I can't find an earlier marriage for Caroline and I also can't find any British/Irish records for Samuel or Caroline. I also don't know what "Hindoo Briton" for, presumably, Caroline means. Does it mean a person of mixed Indian/European ancestry, or does it mean a European who converted to Hinduism, or does it mean something else?

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: British India, Lee & Wray surnames, Madras Presidency, "Hindoo Briton"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 August 14 02:20 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned that elsewhere on the page containing the reference to ?Caroline being a Hindoo Briton (and on the page for an earlier child Rachel) there is a reference in the same hand to another man's wife being an "Indo-Briton", so presumably (perhaps?) "Hindoo Briton" and "Indo-Briton" mean different things.

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 October 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Terrance and mary Ann are my 3 x Great Grandparents. I have quite a bit on them in Ireland, although no marriage, but have come to a dead end in India. I did have the same information regarding Mary Ann's possible baptism in Secundebad but for some reason dismissed it after finding further evidence but for the life of me I can't find the information. I am starting to look back at all the info now and re do the research.

Have we been in contact before?

Kind regards
Brian

Just found why I discounted this baptism in 1838. Mary Ann Lee the daughter of Samuel & Caroline was buried 22nd Sept 1840 aged 2 years 9 months

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. Thanks for that update, that's cleared that up - I was off on the wrong track. I'll send you a PM. Thanks again.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
1881 Terrence is born c 1831 and Mary Ann c 1836
1871 they are born 1825 Ireland and 1837 East Indies.
Given that Son John is born c 1853 (Mary Ann would be barely 16 then)
1891 Mary A Lambe is born 1839 East Indies.
Her Death Reg, Dec 1897, Lancaster, has her as age 58 (Birth c 1839)

Have you considered 2 Marriages for Terrence to 2 Mary Anns?
This happened in my Tree.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
This thread popped up via a google search.  I know its not an active thread or a necessary clarification but for once I know something (or think I do) so would like to clarify:
I can't find an earlier marriage for Caroline and I also can't find any British/Irish records for Samuel or Caroline. I also don't know what "Hindoo Briton" for, presumably, Caroline means. Does it mean a person of mixed Indian/European ancestry, or does it mean a European who converted to Hinduism, or does it mean something else?
Hindoo-Briton and Indo-Briton appear to have been used interchangably.  I say this because in my British India family, in one couples childrens baptisms, it mentions that the parents were Indo-Britons or it says they were Hindoo-Britons, or it doesn't say anything about it, depending on the date the child was born.  It seems to mean that the child had a native mother and British father.  In my case actually both parents had native mothers and british fathers, so it was written 'both parents Indo-Briton' or 'both parents hindoo-briton'.  YAY happy new year - I knew the answer to something - albeit moot!
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.