Author Topic: Richard Hunt and Elizabeth Calcutt/Calcott  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard Hunt and Elizabeth Calcutt/Calcott
« on: Thursday 12 June 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been struggling with a branch of my tree for a while, so I ordered a birth certificate to try and identify the mother's maiden name. The certificate shows that the parents were Richard Hunt of Shilton, Oxon and Elizabeth. Elizabeth's name was Calcutt (I think this is correct, although I can't read the certificate very well and it may be Calcott or a similar variation).

Richard was born in Shilton and according to censuses, Elizabeth was born c.1800 in Little Faringdon.
Is anyone able to find a marriage between Richard Hunt and Elizabeth, probably between 1820 and 1828 (the year their first child was born) in Shilton or nearby e.g. Burford or a birth for Elizabeth?

Many Thanks,

Jess
ARTHUR (Oxon), PECKOVER, (Northants), DORSETT (Oxon, Bucks), PEACHEY (Oxon), LAWSON (Beds, Bucks), TANNER (Glos), PRATLEY (Oxon).

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Hunt and Elizabeth Calcutt/Calcott
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 14 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jess

How are you?
The only marriage that fits in the OFHS Marr Index is for Richard Hunt and Elizabeth Collett at Minster Lovell on 29 Sept 1823.

So looking at the PR's for St Kenelm, Minster Lovell I can see the marriage after Banns they were botp and the witnesses were; Joseph Hunt, Ann Swinford and John Lock.

There were no parents name entered which is a shame. These 2 were neither baptised in Minster Lovell nor buried there.

There are no children baptised for them there either, nor are there any shown for a single mum Elizabeth Collett.

Looking at the PR's for Holy Rood Church, Shilton I can see Richard and Elizabeth having children baptised, they begin with Harriet on 2 May 1824 so kind of fits. They had their last child baptised on 3 Dec 1843 and there were a total of 9.

If you want details tell me. I also see burials for 2 of the children and also burials for Richard and Elizabeth.

So looks like your Elizabeth was a COLLETT - big name in West Oxfordshire and she was born circa 1799 as she was said to be aged 66 at her burial. Richard was said to be 78 in 1876 when he was buried so born circa 1798 - again massive name in West Oxfordshire.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 June 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
and.............. Little Faringdon, where there is a chapel but the PR's do not start until 1851. Before that they are in St Matthews Church, Langford.

In there there is a baptism for Elizabeth COLLETT on 28 May 1799 d o Mary  - no father entered.

I cannot see a baptism for Mary but I can see a marriage for a Mary COLLETT after banns, b o t p on 22 Sept 1806 to a Thomas WHEELER both of Little Faringdon, witnesses were Robert Carter and Mary Lovesey
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 June 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you Nigel :)
You're right, now that you've said it, it does like Collett on the marriage certificate; I'm obviously just not very adept at reading the old writing!
I'd love the baptism dates of the children if you wouldn't mind, thank you very much for the offer. All I had was a rough birth date of 1826 for Harriet from the censuses, and I'm obviously missing a child as I only have eight recorded. The burials would also be great if that's ok please.

So does that mean Elizabeth was baptised at Langford but may have been from Little Faringdon? I'm assuming she was illegitimate of there was no father listed?

Thank you for your help!
ARTHUR (Oxon), PECKOVER, (Northants), DORSETT (Oxon, Bucks), PEACHEY (Oxon), LAWSON (Beds, Bucks), TANNER (Glos), PRATLEY (Oxon).

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 June 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jess
Just come in from the sun - love it !!

So Richard and Elizabeth baptised the following children;

Harriett 2 May 1824
Charlotte 26 March 1826
Mark 11 Jan 1829
Mary 6 Feb 1831
Anne 15 Dec 1833 Buried 1 April 1836
Emma 20 March 1836 Buried 22 April 1855
Anne 24 March 1839
Matilda 22 Aug 1841
George 3 Dec 1843

Elizabeth Hunt Buried 13 July 1865 aged 66
Richard Hunt Buried 29 Dec 1876 aged 78

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 June 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry just seen the other question.

Yes Elizabeth seems to have been born outside of marriage and it is fair to say she was from Little Faringdon but baptised at Langford.

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,