Author Topic: Donald Mackenzie Morness 1741-1835  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Mackenzie Morness 1741-1835
« on: Friday 28 January 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor farmed sheep on a Tack from the Countess of Sutherland, no doubt using land that had been taken by force from crofters, he married Jane Brown whose mother was a Skene from Aberdeen. I would so like to know who his parents were. Can anyone help?
hutton, cuthbertson, mackenzie, mackay

Offline searching12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Mackenzie Morness 1741-1835
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I know this post is a year old but thought I'd reply anyway. Donald Mackenzie is also my ancestor (I think). Here is an incomplete list of his children I have - was wondering if you have any more info?

2 Daughters (drowned in Dunnock Firth)
1 Daughter m Mr Gray of Poole
George 1778-1858 [succeded to farm]
Jane [Carried on farm after 1858]
1 Son
Donald 1772-1851 m Margaret Robina Jamieson 1791-1874, daughter of Rev John Jamieson
More children...

Many Thanks.

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 12 07:53 GMT (UK) »
He is my great great great grandfather, his son, Donald is my great great grandfather and I have lots of information about his family. I look forward to getting in contact with you.

It is so long since I have used this site, which is marvellous by the way, that I have forgotten how to contact others in a more private way!

Offline searching12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 12 08:40 GMT (UK) »
That was quick!

Well, "Morness" Donald is my great great great great great grandfather and his son Donald my (one less great) grand father!

I said "I think" before because although I have a family tree from my grandmother which goes back to  Morness Donald I can't confirm my great grandfather - no-one seems to know much about him and he doesn't turn up in any searches for births, deaths, anything. I also found a reference that included his siblings as his parents' offspring but not him. My grandfather was a bit dodgy so I'm wondering if he just 'attached' himself to the Mackenzies!

I do have some helpful info for you though - in an account written by Morness Donald's great-grandson that I read again today he claimed to be the seventh in a generational line of sons named Donald. This would make Morness Donald's father Donald too. The account itself runs to about 10 pages of typed A4 and is quite interesting.

I would be very keen to find out more (and pass on the info I have)  but I think we need to work out how to do it outside this site. It is getting a bit late here (I am not in the UK!) - I will have a think tomorrow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 12 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi searching12 and Poozan

Welcome to RootsChat, searching12  :) Good to have you back Poozan!

To contact each other privately here on RC and look to exchange personal emails etc., you can use the personal messaging service. Just click on the small green scroll under each other's names on the l/h side and it will take you straight through. Works very much like all email services with an in/outbox.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I had remembered eventually but kind of you to remind me. I guess the person I am talking to must be in New Zealand where it is after 10 at night. I am looking forward to hearing from him/her tomorrow their time. 

Sadly I don't think I will ever get the answer to my original question about the earliest Donald Mackenzie I have information on.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
Re Donald McKenzie, I wonder if anyone here can tell me if this may be related to an ancestor of mine. I have a Murdoch McKenzie who I thought was born in Lochbroom but now discover he was born in Assynt Sutherland. His mother was Florence/Flora McLeod. Is this paart of your McKenzie clan?
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry , :(I am no help to you so, alas, you are no help to me.