Author Topic: Catherine McNAUGHTON nee BLACKLEY  (Read 7966 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McNAUGHTON nee BLACKLEY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 April 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,
I'm not sure but I don't think Adam McNaughton and Catherine Blackley would have been officially divorced. Divorce would be rare in Scotland in the 1860s especially among the ordinary folks/working class.
Most likely Adam just disappeared, or perhaps had gone ahead to USA to establish a job and somewhere to live  and for some reason Catherine never followed.

Re. Sarah Blackley/ Jack - your info from Passenger Lists is that she died en route to Brisbane? Did I read that correctly? But her husband settled in Australia - he is not the William Jack Catherine married?
Looby :)

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 April 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Looby,

Yes divorce would be rare but see the note in the left margin of the 1864 marriage:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684952.0

Yes, Sarah died on the way to Australia just prior to arrival hence a M= Marine registration in Queensland records. Yes, William settled in Queensland and remarried to a Maria JOHNS in Queensland in 1878. I have nothing yet on William in Queensland between his arrival and his second marriage. Lots of references to him after 1878. I don't know if he returned to Scotland between those dates or not.

Coincidence a William JACK is listed on Catherine's death certificate.  All I have for that one so far is the name and occupation as General merchant.

I have Catherine's mother with a 2nd spouse listed on her death certificate and now another one where the second marriage can't be found. Elsewhere in my tree I have a third such instance. I'm aware that it's possible the second marriage could be in the maiden name just as widows sometimes revert to maiden name in census. Am I missing some detail re marriage of widows in Scotland? Say no registration permitted for the second marriage because no death can be shown for the first husband?

Fred

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 April 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,
Well, I stand corrected,  Catherine was obviously a modern woman ;) Divorced in 188? (could that be a faint 4?).
I can't see a marriage to a Willam Jack either. Strange he is a General Merchant - thinking of General Store/ Grocery- when her brother-in-law was a Grocer.
There is a Catherine McNaughton aged 73 on the 1911 Census in Paisley . Have you ruled her out?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 April 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Fred - I would have thought there should be a registration for 2nd marriages. There always has been with any of mine - even third time round :D.
If Catherine was divorced in the 1880s then remarried I would expect her maiden name to have been used. Widows marry with their maiden name but their previous marital status/ married name is alluded to on the cert. I would imagine the same with divorcees.
Perhaps the couple were not married.
William has died prior to 1915. Maybe it would be worth finding his death? Of course we don't know his age but he might not be too hard to find.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 April 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi both  :)

Divorce was unusual for these times...but cheaper in Scotland than England! Wonder how this was all arranged? See notes here www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/divorce/

Sometimes the NAS catalogue shows divorce actions, but couldn't easily see any with the names we have www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Fred, if this was your original cert, you could contact SP for an enhanced image around the seal for the divorce date. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=1210

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 April 14 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Looby,

I've had no luck yet finding a second William JACK. The one who married Sarah has not been found in 1861 yet.

The 1871 is the only census for Catherine I have the image of so far but is seems she continued to use her married name. If there was a second marriage then it should be between 2 April 1911 and November 1915.

It's probably a date in that divorce stamp so in the 1880s but Catherine has not reverted to using her maiden name.

Fred

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 April 14 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Thanks for the links.  I've never used NAS before.  :)

I will ask SP for an enhanced image of that part of the certificate.

I'll do more searching for 2x William.

Fred

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 April 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,
I think this is the William Jack who married Sarah Blackley and who emigrated to Australia on the 1841 Census-
His address 17 Castle Street, Paisley
Jack    Alexander       M       45       Cotton Hand Loom Weaver               
Jack    Isabella           F       45                                                      
Jack    Alexander       M       14       Drawboy                   
Jack    John            M             12           Drawboy                    
Jack    Grahame       M         8                       
Jack    William         M           6               
Laird    Alexander       M       Unknown       Drawboy           
Jack   James            M           10            Drawboy        

All born in Renfrewshire.   
Couldn't find a birth on Familysearch for William but there is or Alexander , John and James.
Here is Alexander's https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VQH1-CBY

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 April 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby. 

Yes, no reg for the youngest two.

Alexander senior must have died between 1841 and 1851.

I think John's middle name is Lymburn.  I've had to luck tracing him or Alex junior or Grahame so far.

James JACK & Martha MORRISON
Marriage: 10 March 1863  Bridgeton, Lanark

James has middle name Graham according to his death reg in Queensland in 1889. I have not found their arrival yet.

DEATHS
JACK.-On the 7th April, at his residence, Watsonville, North Queensland, James Graham Jack, in his 60th year.

I'm going through the newspapers to see what else I can find on the JACK family.

Fred