Author Topic: Maher Ancestors from Rathmacan  (Read 4924 times)

Offline MMGer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maher Ancestors from Rathmacan
« on: Thursday 16 May 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, William Joseph MAHER (1863-1945) was born in Rathmacan, Co Kilkenny, and immigrated to the USA in the mid-1880s.  He settled in Omaha, Nebraska and married Catherine McSHANE (1864-1941) in 1891.  She was born in Loughross/Crossmaglen, Co Armagh.  They had seven children, all of whom I have covered well in the descendancy.  I have been able to trace the McShane side back to my g-g-grandparents.  The Kilkenny info is sketchy.  Family stories relate that William's parents were Michael and Mary (nee Maher) MAHER.  I have a paiinting (attached) of them that my grandfather had painted from a snapshot.  I got it because my name is Michael and my father's name was Michael.  I would like any assistance, contacts, connections, etc, etc to aid in tracing this ancestry.  Obituaries, grave sites, newspaper clippings, photos, and/or anything related will be highly appreciated.
MAHER, McSHANE, BOWDEN, CALLAGHAN

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Maher Ancestors from Rathmacan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately your Michael appears to have been born just before the start of civil records so you would need to investigate parish records for the area to try to trace details of his family.

See : Introduction to Irish Records
          My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Have you located marriage or death certs for Michael ?
US versions of these can provide useful clues such as reported names of parents etc
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael.  www.nationalarchives.ie/census

In the 1901 Census for Kilkenny the following:
House No 2 Rathmacan (DED Ballybeagh, Kilkenny)
Michael Meagher age 64 Head Farmer
Mary Meagher age 68 Wife
Catherine age 31 daughter Single
Nicholas 29 Son Single
Patrick 27 Son Single.

You will note the different spelling of the Surname. :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
www.rootsireland.ie  (pay site) is showing 2 marriage records for a Michael Maher in Co Kilkenny 1 in 1861 and 1 in 1863.
You could also look at www.askaboutireland.ie/griffithsvaluation  which was a land survey and may have a record for Michael Maher. :)

Offline Holland Peter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Loads of Maher's in Rathmacan, Tullaroan Co. Kilkenny. All the names are still a being used in the family in Rathmacan.

Offline MMGer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 February 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Mahers residing in Rathmacan... is there a method for contacting them?  Postal addresses or email would be very handy. 
MAHER, McSHANE, BOWDEN, CALLAGHAN

Offline nmur

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 08:38 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was Cornelius Meagher b 1855 at Rathmacan, Kilkenny, son of Patrick Meagher and Mary Dwyer.  His siblings that I know of were: Michael 1846 -1927, represented Kilkenny in British Parliament.  Margaret  1841 married John Kennedy of Urlingford, Mary 1849 - 1915 married James Tynan of Johnstown.   Cornelius came to Victoria Australia in the 1860's marrying Catherine Smith.  He settled at Redbank, joining his uncle whose name was also Cornelius Meagher.(snr)  Cornelius snr was born approx. 1831 and died in 1911, his parents were Michael Meagher and Margaret Dunphy.  In his will written in 1894Cornelius Snr listed his siblings as Patrick Meagher deceased, of Rathmacan, Martin Meagher of Clonmel Tipperary, Mary Dillon, Ballough Tullaroan, Jane Mara Tullaroan, Honora Nolan Burntchurch Tipperary.  My great great grandfather died in 1935.