Author Topic: Looking for info on John Campbell Taylor b. 3 June 1874  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info on John Campbell Taylor b. 3 June 1874
« on: Thursday 27 February 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out when John Campbell Taylor immigrated to South Africa of Saltcoats Aryshire Scotland.  I think it was between 1901 and 1918 I know that is a large time span.
John was a dynamite worker he worked for Noble Dynamite factory in Stevenston Aryshire Scotland and took a job in South Africa when the Modderfontien Dynamite Factory was started.
Any info about would be nice Thanks
Oh! yes he was married to Mary Stevely and when they came to South Africa they had 3 children.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on John Campbell Taylor b. 3 June 1874
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I have not managed to trace when he came out but found the following at the archives. The first is the death notice of his wife - and the second two relate to a divorce!  I am not sure what the 1st of the 2nd two is - but the last one appears to be the actual divorce.  Could he have married after Mary died?

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 608/1955                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          TAYLOR, MARY. (BORN STEVELY). BORN IN SCOTLAND. S/SP TAYLOR, JOHN     
           CAMPBELL. DECEASED ESTATE.                                           
STARTING  19530000                                                             
ENDING    19550000 

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1159/1941                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE JOHN CAMPBELL TAYLOR VERSUS EDNA DOROTHY (BORN 
           THIEL).                                                             
STARTING  19410000                                                             
ENDING    19410000 

DEPOT     TBD                                                                   
SOURCE    RSC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO II/5A/420                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE I300/57                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          TAYLOR, EDNA DOROTHY. BORN THIEL. ILLIQUID CASE.                     
STARTING  19570603                                                             
ENDING    19570603                                                             
REMARKS   DIVORCE. JOHN CAMPBELL TAYLOR.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I have know idea if John ever married again, My aunt does not know much about that side of the family there was a family rift after her mother divorced John's son.

I do to understand the notice, when did Mary die 1953? and the other date ending 1955?

If the staring and ending dates is when the event took place, then the second doc the divorce took place before Marys death because it is dated 1941.

The third doc could be a divorce of John unless they are not related at all to John Campbell.

I did find a Another John Taylor that came to South Africa  born around the same time. Have not got the info at present.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Mary died in 1953, but the estate was only wound up in 1955.  Sometimes they take a while to sort out.

I also wondered about the other two divorce files and really cannot explain why the dates are so varied, but decided to include them as well.  I cannot explain them, and the only way if you could find out whether it is your John would be to apply for copies of the documents.  I suggest you do this through eggsa.org
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
That was a year before John died. He died in 1956 in Addington Hospital in Durban and was cremated on the 6 March 1956 at Stellawood Cemetery.

Mary Stevely was buried at West Street Cemetery Durban, not sure about this.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 14 07:34 GMT (UK) »
At a guess I would say the files from Joburg TAB and the one in Durban TBD are the same person and the NAB file is your JC Taylor. Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 March 14 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Derek, so if that is the right John he must of divorced Mary at some time? because the first divorce doc indicates he must of been married to Edna Dorothy before Mary died and now was divorcing Edna.

The other doc of Edna could be her estate for it is dated 1957, John was dead by then. He die in 1956.

What do you think, could that be right?

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 12:38 BST (UK) »

The following I believe to be connected to John Campbell Taylor Jr.
Any help with finding out more about him would be appreciated.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1159/1941                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE JOHN CAMPBELL TAYLOR VERSUS EDNA DOROTHY (BORN
           THIEL).                                                             
STARTING  19410000                                                             
ENDING    19410000

DEPOT     TBD                                                                   
SOURCE    RSC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO II/5A/420                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE I300/57                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          TAYLOR, EDNA DOROTHY. BORN THIEL. ILLIQUID CASE.                     
STARTING  19570603                                                             
ENDING    19570603                                                             
REMARKS   DIVORCE. JOHN CAMPBELL TAYLOR.