Author Topic: Help in figuring out where ancestors came from...  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help in figuring out where ancestors came from...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to get more info from the US censuses  but I think everyone in UK are using the same route at the moment so I'm stymied  :(

Would like to know the names of the 'older girl' on the 1850, if Jean could tell us  :)

Martha/ Margaret = very similar or second wife  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jeanieluigi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 January 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
You are all amazing!  They definitely were not in Carbondale in 1850, as the girls, Sarah, Anna and Margaret can be found in Montrose Wisconsin in the 1850 census after their father had died.   I suspect they moved from Pennsylvania around 1840.  A letter written by Margaret in 1900 states "Father and mother had two children when they came to this country.  Their first child was a boy who died when it was small.  All the rest were girls, five of them.  I am the youngest.  Their names were Mary and Sarah, Hannah, Ann and Margaret.  We left Carbondale PA when I was 2 or 3 years old."   We know that Sarah was born in 1830  in Wales...and Anna in 1836 in Pennsylvania...and Margaret in 1838 in Pennsylvania.  We don't know what happened to Hannah.  Mary died in Missouri, along with her mother as they were moving to Wisconsin.  A marriage certificate of Margaret's shows the mother's name as Margaret, and she went by the name Hattie.  Osprey, I think they could have married in 1827 and that is worth my investigating further.  Thank you so much for your searches and information.    (I know that Evans is a common Welsh  name...but if the mother, Margaret was an Evans, it is of interest to note that Sarah also married an Evans who had immigrated from Wales.  Long shot, but perhaps families knew each other. )  Thanks again for your help!   Jean

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 January 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Check out the Asikkala Tree on Ancestry (unless it belongs to you!)
It has Daniel and Hattie plus a picture of daughter Anna b.1836.  Unfortunately, no parents' names! 

There is also a tree with a Daniel and  a Martha but they appear to still be in Wales in 1881 so not the same family.

Good luck

Sandgrounder

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline jeanieluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the thought Sandgrounder.  That is a distant relative's tree who is likely stuck at the same place I am in the family tree.  I appreciate your time and effort!  Jean

Offline jeanieluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 January 10 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Osprey,  Thanks to your help, I did receive confirmation from The National Library of Wales for the marriage between Daniel Moses and Margaret Evans.  However, there was not additional information that could confirm if these are my Daniel and Margaret Moses or not.  Since you seem to know how to search things there, could you provide any additional guidance as to how I could go about researching this further?  I do know that my Daniel and Margaret had a son (unknown name) there (who died young), and their daughter Sarah was born there in 1830.  I would guess that daughter Mary also was born there.   How would I go about researching for the birth of Sarah in 1830, and would there be an 1830 census?  If so how would I research further for birth records and/or census records for that area?  Thanks so much!  Jean

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
the parish entry for the marriage should give whether the bride & groom are of the parish they married in, and if not, what parish they were living in at the tim. Also the names of 2 witnesses who may or may not be related but who then could be traced in parish & census records.

Although the 10 yearly census started in 1801, it's only in 1841 that you get a complete survey. Before that, it's a simple head count in most places.

There are no baptisms to the couple in the IGI parish batch for Blaenporth and the only Aberporth baptisms online on the IGI are for Blaenannerch Calvinistic Methodist - no sign there either. The parish baptisms for Aberporth are at the National Library and in the record office in Aberystwyth

http://dyfedfhs.org.uk/cgn/cgnabph.htm

If they had their children baptised in Aberporth......
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline jeanieluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 January 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much.  I'll pursue further records for birth at the library.  I also thought it of interest that they referred to her as a 'spinster'.  Was this simply the language used for her being single, or did it suggest she was a certain age? 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
just meant she was single and probably not a minor - under 21. This link refers to marriages after general registration in 1837, but the definition would not be any different

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/marriages.htm#COL5
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline jeanieluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 April 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
I'm still searching....I did find another Moses family that may be related to mine.  The aforementioned letter from Margaret Moses (daughter of my Daniel) also  mentioned that there was either a brother or nephew to Daniel that also lived in Carbondale, who was widower.  (Margaret was 2 or 3 years old when the left Carbondale, so likely didn't remember the specifics.)  I found a David that could have been Daniel's nephew (1833-1908 born/died in Carbondale) who was widowed.  This family tree is on Ancestry, and indicates that the parents of David were John Moses (b-1799 in Wales) and Mary (b-1800 in Wales).  Their oldest daughter was Sarah, who was also born in Wales in July 1827 and that she immigrated in 1832 (which is the accurate time frame for the immigration of my Daniel/Hattie Moses.  Any thoughts on how I might tie this together....or not?