Author Topic: Griffith family in Carlow  (Read 45922 times)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith family in Carlow
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Have a Mary Griffith (born approx. 1798;died o8 Jan. 1889) married to Patt. Brady Ballytarsna Carlow in my family tree.Buried in Newtown Cemetary Carlow.
She is listed as (prot.) in the Dunleckney Parish records of the baptisms of their children (1828-1846)
Bradys lived in Cloneen and Ballytarsna Nurney (neighbours to where Griffiths farmed )
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I have top start by clarifying that I collect everything I can lay my hands on if I think it is relevant. I am at the early stages of trying to piece together my Griffith ancestry. I have used DNA to connect some big pieces together but the downside of DNA is it that is does not show how we are related.

I collected a series of birth records of of:

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

This data is a primary source of BMD data based on church records. The records are available for review. The earliest I have is a death of an Elizabeth Griffith b. 1751 in 1812.  I also took copies a series of births for a couple named John and Sarah Griffith. They had a number of children starting in 1803. There must have been two couples with the same names as there were two Marys, two Catherines, and two Elizabeths. There are other children that go as far as 1829.

The Griffith families that I am searching lived in:

Leighlin,Leighlin Bridge, Old Leighlin, Bagnelstown, Fenagh, Ridge, Killedmond

As for Nurney - there is a positive link as I have:

Husband                                Wife
Name   ROBERT LITTLE                  ANNE EMMA GRIFFITH
Address   BALLYLOO NURNEY    RIDGE OLD LEIGHLIN
Occupation   FARMER    N/R
Father   JAMES LITTLE    JOHN GRIFFITH

I have a DNA connection to a Griffith group that came from Ridge. My other match is to a group from around Coolcullen in Co. Kilkenny.

I will add Mary to my records - thanks.

Griffith. Machan

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Mary Brady(nee Griffith) I mentioned would(?) prob. have been a antecedent to the Margaret Griffith whose will was on the first page of the replys.They lived in the RC parish of Bagenalstown (Dunleckney).Not sure which C of I parish it would be.Most likely to be the same Griffiths as found on the 1901 census living at house no.9  Newtown  DED of Agha Carlow.Bradys found in the adjoining townsland of Ballytarsna DED Templepeter.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline maryod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
my great grandmother was Anna Maria Griffith born in Rosdillig to George Griffith and Mary Leech.  Can find no record or George's birth or his father Edward.  Can you help at all?

Hi,
I realise that this is an old post but if you are still in this website, could you please reply.  This Griffith family is also my family, my great grandfather James was a brother of Anna Maria. Their father George would have been born c. 1808 according to his headstone while his father Edward died in 1847 aged 77.
hope to hear from you soon.

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
The major pain in searching is the many names they have for things. Townlands - Civil Unions - Church Districts to name a few (all misspelled) can pose a challenge. Even the Counties change borders over time - (Carlow and Kilkenny).

I have a G. Griffith record:

G.Griffith Parish d. 1876 of Kiltennell — Killedmond Church

Along with a "John Leech, of Moctiny, to his wife Jane, 1851.''

http://www.archive.org/stream/journalforyear02asso/journalforyear02asso_djvu.txt

I have a DNA connection to a Griffith group that were from Ridge Co. Carlow who in turn were located around Killedmond. For years I saw this name in many permutations - Killermound - Killedmund - Killmund - Kildmund. I finally nailed it down to Killedmond which was a Church district and a town.

Kiltennell, Carlow:
Townlands or streets.

Place name

Ballellin or Ballinamona 
  Ballinamona or Ballyellin 
  Ballinvally and Kiltennell 
  Ballynattin 
  Barnahaskin 
  Cashel 
  Coonogue 
  Crannagh 
  Kilcoltrim 
  Killedmond 
  Killedmond town 
  Kiltennell & Ballinvally 
  Knockroe 
  Knockscur or Knocksquire 
  Knocksquire or Knockscur 
  Lacken 
  Moyvally 
  Raheendarragh 
  Raheenkyle 
  Rathanna 
  Rosdellig 
  Spahill 
  Tomduff 

There are Griffith and Leach families there in the mid 1800s. Try looking there.

I may have found a sibling to Anna Maria:

Baptism of GEORGE SIMMON GRIFFITH of ROSDILIG on 1 June 1862
Area - CARLOW (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - KILTENNEL
Name   GEORGE SIMMON GRIFFITH
Date of Birth   2 May 1862
Address   ROSDILIG
Father   GEORGE GRIFFITH
Mother   MARY GRIFFITH

Griffith. Machan

Offline maryod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I possibly wasn't clear in my post as I do not want to post too much current information on a public site, but the Griffiths still live in Rosdellig and my mother was one of them. I still live nearby.  I have a lot of our line of the family tree done, but Ireland's records have huge gaps that cannot be fixed so family lore and emmigration / immigration records are very important. 

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
As for Nurney - there is a positive link as I have:

Husband                                Wife
Name   ROBERT LITTLE                  ANNE EMMA GRIFFITH
Address   BALLYLOO NURNEY    RIDGE OLD LEIGHLIN
Occupation   FARMER    N/R
Father   JAMES LITTLE    JOHN GRIFFITH

As regards the above named people, Littles have been gone from Ballyloo since I think, the late 1970s or early 80s at the latest.Know the farm and house was bought by two adjoining farmers after the last them died.

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. I tend to post a fair bit of material as the people are long gone. I have established a link to my Griffith line that still live in Ireland via DNA. They still own land around the townland of Knockalane near Coolcullen. I have some materials of the various families that were located in that area around 1800. In 1798 there were 4 Protestant families in Mothell Church. By 1800 there were 44. My suspicion is that they came from places like Rosdelig and Aghold in Widklow. One of the ways we could prove a connection is through email. We have 3 matches on the Griffith DNS website.

Perhaps we can exchange information off-line? My email is email address removed by moderator
Griffith. Machan

Offline maryod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rory,
Your email address is coming up as invalid in my gmail.  Is there an error in the message?