Author Topic: Roberts in Llanuwchllyn  (Read 3670 times)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Roberts in Llanuwchllyn
« on: Sunday 20 June 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootscatters - I have been against a brickwall here but I have a glimmer of light - but need assistance.It is somewhat complicated but I have a Hugh Roberts 75 on the 1841 census at Llanuwchllyn - with Mary Roberts 75 who I assume for the timebeing is his wife and mother of his children.
On the 1851 census he is a widower living with his son - David - and family at Dolbar.David is 44 thus born  about 1807 but is not on the baptism booklet for the village although these records are incomplete.
I  am hoping that someone has acess to the chapel records to find the baptism of David and even more importantly two of his brothers. If these were Owen and William it would a great step forward.
Gadget assisted me some five years ago and I would be grateful for any pointers or information. JVA.

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts in Llanuwchllyn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello John

I think it would be more like 4 years as I've not been around 5 years yet  ;D

Can you point me in the direction of your initial query so that I can look through it to refresh my memory  :)

Gadget

Aded - was it this one:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,177095.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
For those searching,  the relevant census refs are:

1841 HO107/1430/23/7/6

1851 HO107/2510/244/13

David and Ann married in 1831 and are referenced on the thread that I gave the link to above.

No sign of any baptisms for David, Owen or William or any others to a Hugh and Mary, so far  :(

No sign of a marriage between Hugh and Mary which might have helped. They could have married in adjacent parishes and Hugh might have used his father's patronymic (Jones or Thomas  ::) )

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 10 16:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Gadget fir your prompt reply - Yes I am still persuing further the family that you assisted me with in 2006 - have reread that correspondence.  Time flies.
It has been an arduous journey  but I have returned to this family with a little further information gathered on the way.
The direct line starts from William Roberts born circa 1806 -11  probably at Llanuwchllyn.His grandson went to live with Owen born 1806 at Llanfachreth after he was widowed On three of the census Owen was born in Llanuwchllyn.
From his marriage certificate the father of Owen was Hugh Roberts and the only Hugh at Llanuwchllyn  born circa 1762  was the father of David with whom he lived after his wife died.
Thus I need to find the baptism of all three of these people - as they do not appear on the church records - they might be on Chapel records. Do they exist and if so how can one access them. I would be grateful of any ideas. Thanks .John.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi John

There are no Chapels listed on Genuki but there is a ref to Llanuwchllyn here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/Hanes1.html

It's all in Welsh but I think it's just a history of the 'independent churches' in the parish.

I'm wondering if it might be worth your getting in touch with the Gwynedd FHS:

http://chtg.gwis.co.uk/

Also, in those days, they might have gone to a meeting place in another parish for non-conformist baptisms or they might not have been baptised as infants (The Baptist Church, for e.g).

Gadget

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 June 10 21:46 BST (UK) »

Here is a link to some similar material about the Calvinistic Methodists in Penllyn;  plus a link to the pay-per-view index to all the nonconformist registers called in by the Registrar General under the 1837 legislation (now mainly the RG4s at TNA).

Rol
(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Gadget and ROL - I am persuing the lines of action suggested.

There is one other marriage of which I would like to know the details.
 A William Roberts married Margaret Jones at Llanuwchllyn in 1831 - It may yield a clue and any information would be appreciated. Many thanks again. John.