Author Topic: Bishop Family  (Read 11967 times)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 May 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi I am not related but like to help people find info on their relatives. It was IWCCC who told me about Helga quote from her post-The family say that Herbert (John) V. Bishop married an Olga but I notice that you have her as Helga E. Vlotman( I guess it could have been a nickname etc.)

Found this DEPOT     TAB   SOURCE    WLD  TYPE      LEER                                                                  SYSTEM    01 REFERENCE 4362/1975  PART      1                                                                     DESCRIPTION  ILLIQUID CASE. DIVORCE. STEPHANUS FREDERICK SCHWARTZ VERSUS ALICE                JANETTE SCHWARTZ (FORMERLY BISHOP, BORN ADORE). STARTING 19750000 
ENDING    19750000. She must have remarried straight after JHV died, at least you now know her maiden name.
DEPOT     KAB  SOURCE    MOOC  TYPE      LEER  VOLUME_NO 6/9/10651  SYSTEM    01                REFERENCE 90208 PART      1   DESCRIPTION          CROUCAMP, KATHLEEN. ESTATE PAPERS.          STARTING  19440000   ENDING    19440000.
Is this Kathleen Lorraine? Regards Derek                                                           

Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
Wow - how exciting when you get replies. Thanks everyone.
I am still somewhat confused about who Herbert John Vanables married: Was it Helga or Olga?
Am I right....it would seem if it was Helga (she was in the Lunatic Asylum in Bloemfontein) then perhaps Herbert John V. was able to remarry Alice Janette ??   and they had 3 daughters, Maureen, Rosemary,  & Kathleen.   
Yet, still later Herbert John V.'s D/N says he was married to Alice Janette and living with another woman (something like J.M.Enties) 
Is this was all the replies are saying??  Would love to get the photos etc. will post my email through the personal messaging box.  I am happy to swap any info I have.
My daughter has just married a Bishop (originally from Sth. Africa and I am trying to trace his tree for him and his family.  Herbert John Vanables would be his grandfather.  Thanks again

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 May 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi IWCCC if you look at my posts it is obvious JHV was married to Helga (nickname Olga) Vlotman who was admitted to an asylum, he then married ALICE JANETTE BISHOP born Adore. After HJV died in 1974 according to Kinsy, JHV died 3/8/1973 in Krugersdorp-Wes - according to his D/N he was married to Alice Janette Bishop but living with a J.M.Enties. Perhaps when he died he had seperated from Alice as you will see she remarried to a STEPHANUS FREDERICK SCHWARTZ but was divorced from him a short while later in 1975. Hope this clears it all up.

Regards Derek       

Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 June 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help......I now move on.  How can I trace the parents of James McKay Bishop b. abt.1837 Cape of Good Hope, Sth. AFrica. Did 1887 OFS.  He married Mary E. Venables.
in 1867. 
Can you get a death certificate of James McKay Bishop from South Africa?  If you did would that show his parents names & details?
I can't seem to find James McKay Bishop anywhere.  Cheers

Offline chat9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am a cousin of Kinsy, also related to the Bishop family. I found a death notice on the archives for James Mckey Bishop who died in 1887, married to Mary Venables. I can get hold of a copy and send it to you? It would take a few weeks as I have get a copy from the archives however it would be worth the effort.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Thank you - I would love to receive a copy of the death of James McKay Bishop.
Do you have any other information about him? eg. his birth, occupation, parents etc.
Would love to trace his family back - wondering if the Bishops came from England , Scotland etc. originally.  Don't suppose you know who his parents are??
Do you have any photos of the Bishop family that you could share?
Thanks so much for your offer.  Looking forward to receiving the information. Cheers

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 June 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
They must have been from Scotland originally as Alfred John Bishop's D/N has "OFS (Scottish colonial)" for his birthplace/nationality.

Offline chat9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 June 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I looked on Ancestry.co.uk and found more information about James McKay Bishop and Mary Elizabeth Venables and their children.

James Mckay Bishop (Born 1837 in the Cape and died in 1887 in the Free state)
Mary Elizabeth Venables (Born 10 November 1839 in Grahamstown and died 1867 in the Free state)
Her parents were Thomas Venables (born 1812 in Newcastle, Staffordshire and died 1879 in the Eastern Cape) and Frances Sparks (born 1818 in London)

James and Elizabeth had the following children:
1. Alfred John Bishop B. 30/08/1869 in Bloemfontein
2. George James Bishop B. 09/04/1872 In Bloemfontein
3. Edgar Arthur Bishop B. 19/06/1873 in Bloemfontein
4. Agnes Hannah Bishop B. 17/03/1875 in Bloemfontein
5. Elsie Emma Bishop B. 14/03/1876 in Bloemfontein
6. Grace Mary Bishop B. 14/03/1876 in Bloemfontein
7. Gertruda? Bishop B. 11/03/1878 in Bloemfontein

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 June 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Thank you so much.  What a lovely lot of helpful information.  Much appreciated.
This means that I now can press onward.  Up to now I have been stumped with James McKay.
Great work.  Thanks for making the effort.