Author Topic: PAVEY / PEEVEY / PEAVY family of Cork  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Grahame

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PAVEY / PEEVEY / PEAVY family of Cork
« on: Friday 15 December 06 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across a family with the above name or anything similar in their research.

Specifically, I am looking for the forebears of Charles Pavey and his wife Elen (Elenor?). They were married around 1800 somewhere in Cork but emigrated to Bristol, England around 1816.

Any help or useful suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Grahame.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: PAVEY / PEEVEY / PEAVY family of Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Grahame,

There are three items required when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as your ancestors were born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

It would be worthwhile looking at the Valuation extracts on John Hayes failteromhat.com site as many families left relatives behind in Ireland when they emigrated.

Christopher

Offline Grahame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the advice. The trouble is that I really don't know anything about this family. They turn up in Bristol about 1816 and the 1851 census gives their place of origin as Cork but does that mean Cork city or County Cork? I don't even know that Pavey was their real name. It could have been an anglicization.

I posted this on the off-chance that someone might be able to give me a clue or suggest an approach.

Anyway thanks again for your advice. I think that I need to do more research in Bristol to try to establish at least a denomination!

Regards,

Grahame.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Grahame,

I looked at the Valuation for Pavey / Peevey / Peavy and found nothing so entered "eav" to see what might appear. I wonder if that "P" was an "H" or an "L" as I found Heavey,  Heavy, Leavy and Leavy.

Christopher   

Offline Jcoppola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Grahame,

My great great great grandfather was William Pavey born in county cork in 1816 & sometime in the early 1800's moved to bristol. He was married to Eliza Forward.

Not sure if this Pavey is related in some way to the Pavey you're trying to trace back to?

Let me know if this sounds familiar?
Thanks
Jayne

Offline Grahame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 May 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayne,

I think this is the same family. I have William on the 1841 census aged 25 living with his mother Elen aged 57 (a widow from Ireland) and his younger siblings in the Temple area of Bristol. The Temple parish register gives the father of the younger siblings as Charles Pavey. Charles was baptised in Temple in 1775 the son of James Pavey and Elizabeth Criddle. I think he must have been sojourning in Cork or maybe he was stationed there (if he was in the military?).

My Ancestor is James Pavey, William's older brother, also born in Cork about 1805. Connecting my  James to this family involves a little deductive logic. James Pavey married Mary Ann Moon in Bristol in 1827. Mary Ann Moon was the daughter of James Moon and Elizabeth Codelington. Looking James Moon up on the 1841 census shows that he was living in Temple - right next door to Elen Pavey. James Pavey married the girl next door.

Can you tell me where and when William married Eliza Forward?

Thank you.

Grahame.

Offline Jcoppola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame,

It could be the same family. His father was Uriah Pavey - born in Cork - unsure of DOB.

William Pavey (pipe maker) married Eliza Forwards 5th august 1839 at St. John's Bedminster, Bristol
He died before 1871.

Addresses as per the census:
1839 - Hope Square
1845 - Tylers Fields
1851 - Bread Street and Temple Back
1852 - John Street

They had children:
Ann baptised Jan 19th 1842 at St. Phillip and Jacob
Eliza baptised Jan 12th 1845 at St. Phillip and Jacob
William Charles July/Aug1949 baptised 19th May 1850 at St. Phillip and Jacob - this is where my father's line went down from so I have further info from him down the tree.
Charles John baptised 12th Dec 1852 at St. Phillip and Jacob
John Thomas baptised Nov 30th 1856 at St. Phillip and Jacob

Hopefully this helps?!

Best regards,
Jayne

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 May 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
www.corkpastandpresent.ie under genealogy if you enter the surname you will achieve some records on Pavey :)

Offline Grahame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayne,

Can I ask how sure you are that William's father was Uriah PAVEY?

My William (born Cork 1816) appears on the 1841 census living with his mother Elen - she is 57 and from Ireland - in Temple, Bristol. His whole family (mother, himself and all of his siblings) are pipe makers. His siblings are Eliza (24), Elizabeth (19) and John (13). There is also a Jane (5) who may be a granddaughter. All bar William were born in Temple to Charles and Elenor PAVEY according to the Temple PRs.

I have associated my ancestor James PAVEY, a pipe maker,(born Cork 1805?) with this family as an older son, because he married Mary Ann MOON whose parents James and Elizabeth were resident next door on the census. The Christian name of Charles (or Charlotte in the feminine) is also very prevalent amongst the descendants of this family.

Based on this I think that William's father was Charles (born Bristol, Temple 1775) not Uriah.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Grahame.