Author Topic: Chromo2 DNA Results from BritainsDNA /ScotlandsDNA / IrelandsDNA  (Read 9995 times)

Offline pffog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chromo2 DNA Results from BritainsDNA /ScotlandsDNA / IrelandsDNA
« on: Saturday 23 November 13 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm aware of three haplogroup I test results from the Chromo2 test offered by BritainsDNA, ScotlandsDNA and IrelandsDNA. This test offers a rich series of news markers for haplogroup I. However, the new markers can only be useful when comparing test kits. Please let me know if you've taken or received results from the Chromo2 test. Thanks,

Offline pffog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chromo2 DNA Results from BritainsDNA /ScotlandsDNA / IrelandsDNA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 November 13 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Chromo2 is producing a rich supply of new SNPs within haplogroup I. However, positioning of these new SNPs is only possible by comparing test results.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 November 13 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi pgo? You'll find most Haplogroup I people on a DNA board like this:-

Offline pffog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 November 13 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes, I've previously posted a query about Chromo2 on Anthrogenica in the Haplogroup I forum. I know that over 200 Haplogroup I Chromo2 kit results were recently released. However, finding them is a problem. Without a comparison between kits, the results are really just SNP names that have no context. Chromo2 has identified so many new Haplogroup I SNPs that I believe the results can narrow the window of when a surname was adopted to within a couple hundred years.

If you've taken a Chromo2 test (BritainsDNA, ScotlandsDNA, or IrelandsDNA), please post a reply here or email me at philgoff at carolina.rr.com. Thanks,

Phil

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 November 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Whoops! Sorry, didn't see you had already posted there.

Chromo2 has identified so many new Haplogroup I SNPs that I believe the results can narrow the window of when a surname was adopted to within a couple hundred years.

Yes it will be interesting to see the average timespan between each SNP. The closer they are the more finely we can differentiate between the relationships between people.

Offline pffog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 November 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
For example, my results (previously I-Z140*) have been compared with someone who splits with me at Z58. Setting aside Z59, Z60 and Z140, I have 22 new SNPs from BritainsDNA. Some of these may have happened between Z58 and Z140, but I think it is likely that most are downstream of Z140. I've previously tested all known downstream SNPs from Z140 and was ancestral. These new Chromo2 results appear to add a lot of definition.

I urge participation in Chromo2 for those in Haplogroup I. Dr. Wilson has stated and the results support that the Chromo2 chip is rich in new SNPs for Haplogroup I. For £129, this is a real bargain for nearly 15,000 SNPs.

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 November 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has done a Chromo 2 test I would very much like to have a review with screenshots for my blog, preferably of the version with the haplogroup stories and charts. Please send me a message via Rootschat if you would be willing to share your results.

Note that in addition to the Chromo 2 test there are now two companies who offer comprehensive Y-chromosome sequencing which will allow us to discover many more SNPs.  For a comparison of all the different tests see the ISOGG SNP testing chart:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_SNP_testing_chart

We won't know how the products compare and which test will yield the best results for individual haplogroups until results are available from all the tests, probably some time in February or March next year.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline pffog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 November 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm willing to share but it may take a week or two as due tosome other upcoming commitments.

Phil Goff 

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 November 13 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Phil. Let me know when you're ready. It may someone else will come forward in the meantime but if people have different perspectives then that would also be worth covering.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.