Author Topic: FREE DNA Test - Men with surname Stewart/Stuart  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
FREE DNA Test - Men with surname Stewart/Stuart
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
Administrators of the familytreedna Stuart/Stewart Project would like to contact men with the surname who live in the UK who would be willing to volunteer for a free DNA test in a bid to learn more about the various Stewart lineages.

The family has a well documented pedigree within a genealogical time frame and can be traced to a historical character with a single male DNA lineage.  Alan fits Flaad, an 11th century Bretton knight was granted the barony of Oswestry in Shropshire by King Henry I of England.  Recent DNA discoveries have made it possible to further identify various branches of the more recent family e.g. the lines of Sir John of Bonkyll and his brother James, the 5th High Steward of Scotland.

If this is of interest please contact an administrator at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Stuart/default.aspx
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREE DNA Test - Men with surname Stewart/Stuart
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
The problem, of course, as James VI said, is that all Stewarts "are no sib to the king". It is a name of multiple origins as so many men held the office of steward to families and institutions all over the country.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 August 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
That's OK, many of those multiple origins will be interest to somebody, somewhere.  It's free and you never know, it may turn out to be a bit of fun.

SNP's can now divide Stewarts/Stuarts into a number of subgroups, as well as English Kings there are other, less noble families.  Even some yonder peasant, or errant chambermaid, as in my case.

Examples of surnames of patrilineal descendants of Stwarts are Beauclerk (Duke of St Albans), Bowlin, Campbell, Cobb, Fitzroy (Duke of Grafton), Gordon-Lennox (Duke of Richmond), Macleod-Stuart, Malloure, Mitchell, Pierce, Robertson, Scott (Duke of Buccleuch), Stewart, Stu, Stuart, Thomas, Thompson and Ward.

Everyone who tests positive for SNP S781 descends from Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll (died 22/7/1298 Battle of Falkirk).  His patrilineal descendants via the Lennox line (eg James I of England) test positive for both S781 and S768.  His descendants via the Appin line test S781+ and S768-.  Anyone who tests positive for SNP746 and negative for S781 may be a direct line of descendant of James Stewart 5th High Steward of Scotland.

Earl Castle Steward, Thompson and Robertson have a SNP that proves that one of their Stewart ancestors were alongside William Wallace at the Battle of Bannockburn.

So, the more Stewart/Stuart trees and DNA the better!
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Curious about this. Is this project still running? I have both Stewart and Wallace ancestry, both in maternal lines but quite clear. Stewart ancestry is clear back to Scotland in early 16th century and several others on AncestryDNA have Royal Stewart ancestry(they say) and are genetic matches albeit distant.

I have a transcript of my DNA results in a text file. Can I search them myself for appropriate SNPs etc or is the process more complex than that. Being a biomedical scientist I have a good grasp of what genes are and do but this is a new field for me.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 15:47 BST (UK) »

There is this Y DNA Project at FTDNA

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/scottishdna/about

I think they amalgamated with the Scottish Clan Project to form one HUGE project :)

Kim

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.