Author Topic: gas works house brecon  (Read 15575 times)

Offline bellababy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
gas works house brecon
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi wondered if any one knows any info on the Gas Works house in Brecon i think it must be near somewhere called Watton according to the census
The manager on the 1891 census was Richard Wiles
Any info would be great
Wiener/wiener Germany Malchin mecklenburg Schwerin Rostock and Hamburg
Wiles St Neots Cambs / Staffs/ Rotherham
Friedrich Boye Lubeck Germany / Llandudno

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: gas works house brecon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
bellababy,

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & S. Wales (Pt 2) - Gas Companies & Works

Brecon Gas Co, Limited (Wm. Alfred Wright, sec); works, Canal Bank, Watton; office, Lion St, Brecon

regards

Offline bellababy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help
Do you know when the gas works closed down  and was the theatre put up in its place?
Richard Wiles was manager there but died in Brecon 1897 age 60
Cheers bellababy

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 June 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
bellababy,
can't help you with the history of the gas works.
I have checked an on line ordnance survey map of Brecon 1891 and the gas works is still shown.
It's on the Canal Bank, top left hand corner of the racecourse near the Slaughterhouses.

regards

Offline cochiaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
HI,

Gasworks House still exists on the edge of the canal. It is the house which is to the right of the Theatre (with your back to the theatre and facing the canal. Just by it is Gas works lane which runs form the Watton past the side of the Rugby Club, over the bridge and onto the Canal Towpath. The new row of  houses which have been built just to the left of the bridge, are on the site of the gasometers.

Google Map shows it well on the Street map. Go to Brecon. Zoom in until you can see the street names. Find the Watton and then Look for Gas works LAne. Look up past the car park behind the rugby club and the large looking house of mixed building styles is GAs works house. Go up Gas works lane for a better look. Then jump the yellow man over the canal bridge and the houses there on the left with the allotments behind is the site of the gasometers.

Hope this helps

Cochiaid

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
thanks cochiaid,
on google earth you can see the submarine shaped canal basin between the 2 bridges and this same basin can be seen on the 1891 ordinance survey map.

The gas works appear immediately below the right hand side of the basin up to the bridge and what looks like 2 gasometers to the right of the bridge.

Reminded me of a trip on a longboat along that stretch of the canal just a few years ago.

regards

Offline cochiaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 June 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Remember that the canal basin as it now stands is new (10-15 years old) and not in  the same place and position as the original terminus for the canal. The cottages which you can see opposite the theatr look old but are new build OAP flats and give the false impression that they were always on the canal basin. Not so. They were built as part of the re construction of this part of the Canal with the building of the Theatr Brycheiniog. again in the last 10-15 years. Also note that when you look at the Street view of the new houses on the gasometer site, that these houses are missing from the aerial map below it. this is because the Street view was carried out Autumn 2009 where as the aerial view is a few years older. 

I haven't seen the 1891 map, but the Brecon 1903 map gives a very good view of all the relevant places as well as the shape of the canal in the late 19th century. It also shows the gasometers very clearly and Gas works house land. It is published by Alan Godfrey Maps.

All the best,

Cochiaid

Offline mike4369

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
The Gas works on the canal bank closed in the early '60s with the intro of Natural gas, the manager of many years , Mr Ernie Probert continued to live in the old manager's house until he died about 8-10 years ago. In honour of his long service the new canal terminus is named "Probert's basin" and is located opposite Theatr Brycheiniog. The original canal went a further 100 yards further along to the west but was filled in to accomodate the road linking Rich Way, the theatre and Dan-y Gaer road. I have lived in the Watton since 1956 and remember the gas works well, many couring couples used to do their courting along what they called the "hot walls" - I leave it to your imagination what went on!!! I have many pics of the construction of the canal terminus taken by my wife's late uncle who had a car repair business in what was knowns as "Tommy's Yard" just opposite the gas works, and my grandmother kept the pub, the garden of which went down to the canal right opposite the works, now its the Rugby Club and petanque court. Over the last decade the area has been developed into a mix of housing, a supermarket, the theatre, a garage, the job centre and car park. Thankfully the King George V playing field still exists behind the canal terminus( I was the chair of the residents group that saved it from a major developer). I have some old maps of the area that show the canal and the various warves that branched off. The canal was instrumental in Brecon becomming one of the 11 most important towns in the Uk, hauling coal(hence gas works) and lime (yes even above Cardiff, Swansea and Newport) during the 18th c until its decline due to the coming of the railway. There is much more to tell so I will leave it there for the time being.
BTW one of Mr Probert's daughters still lives close to the canal treminus so there is still a link in the area.

Offline bellababy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 September 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike thanks for all that information very interesting and its nice to hear people are so dedicated to save our 'green areas' they are fast dwindling ! The gas manager (Richard Wiles) i was trying to find info on was on the census 1891at the gas works house but he died 1897 a few years before all the changes ! but the photos would be interesting to see and what the gasworks house looked like ? I saw the pub when i went on google street view (and the other places you mentioned) what year did you grandmother become landlady ??
Anyway must go as i am going to be late for an appointment if im not careful!
Regards
Bellababy