Author Topic: #2 Court, Temple St, Bilston - Is your family here?  (Read 24593 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
#2 Court, Temple St, Bilston - Is your family here?
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I originally put this in the Bilston friends and neighbours thread [http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=280912.msg2191143] but then realised it would probably get lost in such a long thread and is really an invitation to a new discussion. 

As pretty much all the names here have come up in our discussion on that thread and other threads here, i wanted to try a new way of looking at this and see if, between us we can find waht links these families other than just location.

Going through some census sheets that I had printed out a while ago, I found an example from 1871 in Temple St, #2 court at RG10:2950:F150

On the first page of the folio (page 29) we start with:

House #1: James & Mary McKew and family - from William's baptism, I find mother was a Mary Halligan and his godmother was a Catherine McDonough (likely the first wife of Michael McDonough who appears later, as she was originally a Catherine McKew)

#2 James and Mary Oakley with family and lodgers (a tiny grand-daughter's name appears to have been amended because her parents weren't married)

#3 William Brannon, wife Mary and 3 children & William's brother. From the Holy Trinity baptismal index, I can see that William was baptised in Bilston and his mother's maiden name was Walsh.  There are two sets of lodgers in the same household, a widower and daughter named Gaven and Edward Walsh and son, also Edward.  The older Edward seems to be still married but wife not at home.

#4 John and Ellen Nayley? with child Hannah and widowed stepmother Hannah Durkin

#5 Stephen and Honora Coughlin and children
[added: from the baptism records for their children, it looks like Honora/Honor's maiden name was Hassett or possibly Harrett]

#6 Barney and Sarah Callaghan and lodger George Bucknall

#7 Michael and Winifred McDonough with Mary and Julia.  Mary's mother was Catherine McKew.  Some time after Catherine's death, Michael remarried to widow Winifred Biggins, whose maiden name was Lally.  Winifred is Julia's mother.
With them are lodgers John Murphy and Mary with daughter Bridget.  According to FREEBMD a John Murphy may have married a Mary Clynes in this region in 1867. [this McDonough family is strongly suspected to closely related to my ancestors and there is a John Clynes who is godparent to one of the children in my family]

#8 Thomas and Ann Evans and two children

Court #2 seems to be between houses 50 and 51 on Temple Street itself and at 51 and 52 are more Halligan and Lally families.

Many of these names have come up in our discussions so I would love comments and feedback - particularly from descendants of these families.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: #2 Court, Temple St, Bilston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
The same court ten years later
(this is partly done from transcriptions as I only have one of the relevant pages so if anyone wants to correct anything, I will be very grateful)

Starting at RG11:2813:F144:P27- F145:P29

At house #1 is still James and Mary and the younger children (but now they are spelled McKue on A**- also found elsewhere McCue and McHugh)

#2 Still the Oakleys but no children or lodgers

#3 Henry and Mary Jones with children and Thompson step-children

#4 Thomas and Rebecca Newton

#5 John and Onour Allen with daughter and Higgins step-children

#6 Thomas and Bridget O'Neill with children and Coyne step-children.
[From the children's baptism records, Bridget's name was originally McDonough and she was previously married to a John Coyne]

#7 is now Patrick and Catherine Conroy with baby Mary. 
[from Mary's baptism, Catherine's maiden name was Corcoran]

#8 is John and Julia Coyne with children and sister, Ellen Burke
[from the children's baptisms, Julia was originally Burke]

There is a Thomas Evans lodging next door at #51 Temple St but he is 70 and so far too old to be the Thomas at #8 court 2, 10 years earlier.

Again, if anyone can add any information on any of these families, I would love to hear from you.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline ponjalow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: #2 Court, Temple St, Bilston - Is your family here?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 January 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello there ,could you tell me please ,how i would view Holy Trinity baptism records ?
Kilgallon
Duffy
Roberts
Inskip
Wilde

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 January 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi ponjalow,

The baptism records for Holy Trinity up to the 1890s are held at the Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives at St Chad's in Birmingham, although you would normally just view them on microfilm there.

If you want to give me some names with approximate dates, I can see if the records you need are on any of the images I have for my own research, over the next couple of days.  Also I am in the process of transcribing the index to the baptismal registers but have only got as far as "C" so far but can do lookups in that if you have any names early in the alphabet.

Offline ponjalow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for quick reply. Kilgallon and Duffy family ,
Kilgallon
Duffy
Roberts
Inskip
Wilde

Offline emgee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila.

You are already aware of my interest in the Walsh family and the connection to the Graven family.
I noted the Walsh and Gaven's in your topic. Do you have their birthplace details please?

Offline emgee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 09 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi ponjalow

I noticed a Catharine Killgallon married a William Devanny 1n 1857. Ref Wolverhampton 6b 767.

Offline ponjalow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi emgee

I dont think so .The name Devanny doesnt appear any where.

Do you happen to know  Catherine  Kilgallon's (b 1882 ) Mother 's name ?

Thank you.
Kilgallon
Duffy
Roberts
Inskip
Wilde

Offline emgee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ponjalow  but I have only limited resources.

I presume your Catherine is the one registered Mar qtr 1883 Wolverhampton 6b 670.
If so a Birth Certificate from GRO will give you the mothers maiden name.