Author Topic: Jonathan Wild (baptised 6 May 1683 wolverhampton  (Read 4745 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Wild (baptised 6 May 1683 wolverhampton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
Oh brilliant Glen, thank you very much for taking the trouble to do that for me, its much appreciated!!... the bit about his father I hadnt heard of before.... this fella certainly intrigues me.... (I have since also found out that johnathan wilds son, when sent to America, was an "indenture" in (I believe,) Johnstown usa... en route to maryland as a labourer

Once again, Many thanks Glen

oh and... coincidentally... his son, was also "Jonathan" Wild lolol
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
I am glad i could help you.I asked if there were any more records,but they say Wild is a common name and it would be hard to find the right one.However,i can look in the books next week.You have probably read this,but i typed in google,Jonathan Wild of Wolverhampton,and it came up with J---W--from the complete Newgate calendar.It is under bunker8.pwpblueyonder.co.uk/history/wild.It is fascinating.If i find anything next week,i will let you know,i only go on Tuesdays.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
well for me, the fascination is also because of my love of local history,  and when I hwear of a tale like his, it just makes me want to dig deeper
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,I have been to the archives today,and couldn't find anything else out for you.There are books on crime and punishment,and people in Jail,he wasn't mentioned though.Let me know if you need anyone else looking up.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
My friend has bought a book on Jonathan Wild,and i have persuaded her to lend it me.It is "The thief taker general"by Gerald Howson.Is there anything you want to know and i will try to find it before i hand the book back.It is the rise and fall of Jonathan Wild.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 June 13 02:31 BST (UK) »
aww, cheers Glen... Im looking for details of his fam still and what hapenned to them afterwards.... I bought a book on him too and got another outa the library lol
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 October 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
I'd be very interested in the information you have on Jonathan junior in America. Jonathan Wild is a bit of an interest of mine, as my surname is Wild and we originated in Wolverhampton - I've always harboured a hope for a connection!

I believe Jonathan (senior)'s parents were John Wild and Elizabeth. Their name appears in many different forms in the parish registers (Wild/Wilde/Wyld/Wile/Wiley/Wyly). I have the following children recorded for them:
- Thomas bapt. 8 Oct 1677 (he must have died young, as he's not mentioned again)
- John bapt. 27 Dec 1680 (m. Felicia Butler 15 Aug 1703; bur. 26 Jul 1721 - 3 kids. He worked as a grave digger as well)
- Mary bur. 11 Aug 1681
- Jonathan bapt. 6 May 1683 (married several different women, depending on which source you read. The only one I've been able to find unequivocal proof of is his last marriage, to Mary Dean (née Brown) on 11 Sep 1721 in St. Pancras. He died 24 May 1725)
- Mary bapt. 12 Nov 1684 (m. (I think) 5 Nov 1713, Abraham Dudley, making him a comb- or buckle-maker - there are so many Wilds in the Wolverhampton area though, it's hard to be sure)
- (Other daughter - poss. named Elizabeth, as an Elizabeth Wild m. Thomas Shepherd on 7 Oct 1714)
- Andrew bapt. 16 Jul 1690
- Frances bur. 4 Aug 1690

There's a burial for Elizabeth Wiley, wife of John, on 27 Aug 1715, and a burial of John Wild on 29 Nov 1733, which may be Jonathan's parents.