Author Topic: Joseph Horton.  (Read 9499 times)

Offline PaulH_86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Horton.
« on: Thursday 18 December 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Im a bit stuck on one of my Great Great (.... Etc) Grandfathers, Joseph Horton He was Born between 1800 and 1825 in the Staffordshire Area.

On His Marriage certificate it states He Married a Hannah Stone in 1839 at the time Both ''of Full age''.
His Father is a Thomas Horton and Hannah's Father is a Isaac Stone.

From census data I have managed to determine that between them Hannah and Joseph Had 4 Daughters. Elizabeth, Ann, Mary and Sarah.

Im Struggling on determining Josephs Birth Year Between the Years 1800 and 1823 there are 7 Joseph Hortons Born to a Thomas Horton.

Im not sure which one, my guess is that its more around the time 1818 and 1823 which puts his mother is an Ann or Martha Horton.

Would like a second opinion as its slowly boggling my mind.

If it is either ann or martha - what are their maiden names? and what year were they married to Thomas?

Many Thanks
Paul  :)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Horton.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Paul

Where were they living in later census - any idea where they were born?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline PaulH_86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »

Joseph & Hannah and their daughters - Elizabeth, Ann, Mary and Sarah are listed in the Rowley Regis Census 1851 & 1861 After that Joseph & Hannah disappear and only their daughters are listed in various census's from 1871, 1881 & 1891 onwards.

I can't find a census which contains a Joseph Horton and his Father Thomas Horton possibly because they are not from that area of Rowley Regis. Another person i have spoken too who is also researching the same line says he cannot find a record in Rowley Regis parish church for Josephs Birth, which to me suggests he was born out of the area.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
His brother William is living with them in the 1851 born c1834 Rowley Regis there is a possible  baptism on FreeREG 22.4.1832 at St Thomas Dudley for a William born 31.7.1831 parents Thomas and Mary a miner from Dixons Green

What was the occupation of Thomas?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline PaulH_86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
its hard to make out Thomas's occupation from the Joseph and Hannah's marriage cert i think it says sailor, which is a bit weird considering they are in the middle of the country with no large body of water nearby.

Ive attached a small screen shot. (which may get taken down) what do you think?

Paul

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think the problem here is that you have two Joseph and Hannah Hortons in the same area at the same time.
Yours Joseph born 1823 Rowley and Hannah born 1823 Rowley and Joseph Horton born 1818 West Bromwich and Hannah born 1818 West Bromwich children Eliza 1841,Henry 1844,Joseph1845,Hannah 1849 all  baptised All Saints West Browmwich.

Now if we look for a Hannah Stone daughter of Isaac Stone there is one at All Saints 22.2.1818 on Freereg iron turner Spon Lane daughter of Isaac and Hannah.This is the wife of the couple in West Brom ,not yours in Rowley so the marriage you found is wrong.Thomas and Martha Horton are the parents of the other Joseph Horton and your Joseph is born 1823 and could have a father called anything.
Sorry. You need to find the other marriage.
ps I think the occupation above is Nailor.Thomas Horton married Martha Brooks at St Peters Wolverhampton 29.1.1804.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Think thats says nailor

Willow x

Offline PaulH_86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 14 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Nailor would make sense Willow, as Josephs Daughters Ann, Sarah, Elizabeth & Mary were all Nailor's Also.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 December 14 13:00 GMT (UK) »
and if Ciderdrinker has hit the nail on the head I wonder if the Esther Westwood is a relation?

Willow x