Author Topic: Frederick OTTAWAY b. Kent c. 1848 emmigrated to NZ  (Read 13697 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick OTTAWAY b. Kent c. 1848 emmigrated to NZ
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 February 12 08:55 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth looking for wills for Charles and Martha to see if Frederick and his wherabouts are mentioned.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 February 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Not quite what you are asking, but have you gone backwards with your Ottaways?
I am also interested in this family as I am descended from Dorcas Ottaway of Bethersden, b. about 1697, who married Daniel Bourne in 1720.
The family used the name Ottaway/Attaway as a middle name for several male descendants.
I have been concentrating on the Bournes up till recently (some emigrated to Australia and met a sad end as you can see here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,574177.0.html )  But I would be interested to know if there is a link between your Ottaways and mine.   
Best wishes
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline ottawayfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 February 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks bearkat. I have tried to find the wills for Charles and Martha online, but without success. Have you any idea where I could get this information from?

Offline ottawayfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 February 12 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bev

I am still trying to ascertain that the ancestors I have traced are the correct family. At this stage I am a little stuck on my great-great-grandparents, who lived in the early to mid-1800s, but once I get past that small stumbling block I will see if I come up with any family matches with Dorcas Ottaway.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 February 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has The National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Adminisrations) 1861 -1941

If there are wills you will need to apply to the York Probate Registry

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills.htm

PCC wills up to 1858 can be downloaded from The National Archives documentsonline

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wills.asp

CCC and ACC wills are indexed on Maureen Rawson's site:

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/ekp2_intro.html
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I have Ottaway family records going back to mid 1600s.  This is my husband's family history and the records are the combined efforts of several distant cousins. I have had a quick trawl through and will need to spend more time but my first findings may be of interest.

I have details of Martha Roffe's marriage to Horace Ottaway on 6th October 1844 in Headcorn, Kent.  They had two daughters born in Headcorn in 1844 who were named Susan Ottaway Roffe and Jane Ottaway Roffe. Perhaps twins (?) Their surname was Roffe not Ottaway which seems strange if Horace was married to Martha.

Was the Martha Roffe who married Charles Ottaway the same Martha who was the widow of Horace?  If Horace died in 1846 she could have married Charles later that year.  I have not found them as a married couple yet but will have a closer look.

Horace had an older brother, Leonard Sion Ottaway, born Jan 13 1816, Headcorn, Kent. 
Martha and Charles called their son Sion/Zion.  There are several appearences of the name Sion.

The various generations seem to slip between Ottaway and Attaway and back again.  In some families the children were registered as either!

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Horace did marry Martha.  ???

Jane marries with the surname ROFE (to Alfred CROUCH), father Horace OTTAWAY 12th April 1862 at Headcorn. Martha was a witness.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that I can't see a marriage for Horace to Martha in either Headcorn or Staplehurst.

Martha is listed as a spinster when she married Charles.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:46 GMT (UK) »
On Jane's marriage record does it say if Horace was deceased?