Author Topic: Camfield family of Groombridge,Kent  (Read 9317 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camfield family of Groombridge,Kent
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
The Sussex Advertiser 8 Dec 1846
Brighton Journal
Fashionable Intelligence - Mr and Mrs Camfield have returned to 17 German Place for the winter

If this is William and Ann (William died at German Pl) there is a possible death for Ann on FreeBMD

Ann Camfield, Jun 1850, Brighton, 7  234

William Camfield, Sep 1850, Brighton, 7  187

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past has a death record for -

Ann Camfield
died - 7 May 1850
age - 61
Place of Burial - Brighton
Dedication - St Nicholas/hanover chapel
Source - National Burial Index
Data Provider - Census Searches Ltd

Offline Arthur Camfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Camfield family of Speldhurst /Groombridge,Kent
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello to All the lovely People, who have been researching my Paternal Family above.

Firstly, I am led to believe the family were reputedly descended from Norman Nobles namely the De Camvilles, in the Essex area, (North of London). Author, Barbara Cartland's family home was called Camfield & there is a story behind this name, on the 'net', please check this out.  Others say the family were from Saxon beginnings, who knows? As all the information from all those years ago was not always recorded, Old time Genealogical information came from Parish Records & Bishops Transcripts & was as accurate as the Vicar was, at keeping records.
It is an unmistakable fact That the Branch of Camfields under Discussion were from the Speldhurst area of Kent, UK. I have visited the family church at Speldhurst, a number of times & there are very many Camfield's mentioned, in their parish record history, obviously they were Anglicans.
I also have a long list of Death Records from this church regarding our family.
The young William Camfield of Burrswood, died aged around 30 years of age, just prior to the Burrswood Estate being sold to Mr Salomons in 1832. William Snr. & one of his daughters moved to Brighton after the sale.
It is entirely co-incidental that I took the same path as my G/G/Uncle Henry Camfield & emigrated from UK to Australia in 1982, first from NSW then to Western Australia in 1983. I became a JP Co-ordinator & remarkably discovered that Henry Camfield had taken the same career steps, nearly 170 years before (Henry was Government Resident Magistrate for the Albany region of Western Australia, I had no previous notice of this fact. Henry Camfield died without Issue in 1872 & I attest to his & his Wife Annie's, wonderful service to our 'indigenous' population of Aboriginal people. They were known as the 'Saintly Couple' & were Pious & helpful to less fortunate citizens.

Please if anymore information about my Branch, of the Camfield family is required, send to me & I will do my best to answer you.                                        Arthur,  Perth, Western Australia, 2014.

Offline chessiepops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I noticed this message from some months back and wonder if you are still researching Henry Camfield and his connection to the Groombridge Camfields etc?  My mother was a Camfield and I'm a descendant of the Camfield who owed Groombridge.  One of my distant cousins has done a lot of research into this area and he might be able to help you.  Please let me know and we can take it from there.  Kind regards.  Virginia
Camfield
Isaacs
Hoadley
Hicks
Mills
Tapsell
Perkins
Cox
Luck
Butler

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
To Chessiepops

I have suspended any research for the summer. I will review my file about the Camfields this fall and if I have any questions I will get in touch with you.

Offline SarahCavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya, I have a family tree for Camfield’s in an attempt to find my great grandfather’s family who were fairground workers and I have some of the surnames that you have listed. Please get in touch if you are still looking at this family 👍🏻
Sarah