Author Topic: Carronshore on Maps  (Read 1106 times)

Offline mitch7532

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carronshore on Maps
« on: Thursday 15 May 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Stirlingshire OS 25 inch to the mile Maps on NLS I now realise that Carronshore was divided between Larbert & Bothkennar Parishes which I hadn't realised before.

Stirling Sheet XXIV.11 covers the west side of Carronshore in Larbert Parish around modern day Church Street & Waddell Street.

Stirling Sheet XXIV.12 covers the east side, in Bothkennar Parish, around North Main Street down to the river.

What I can't find is Dock Street & the bit of Main Street between the top of Dock St and almost to the bottom of North Main Street. This appears to be in Larbert Parish and so should be in map 11 - but I can't find it in insets.  There appears to be a gap between the two sheets? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks

Mitch
PARFREMENT/PERFREMENT(anywhere). Mitchell, Russell, Cooper, Williams, Hales, Hopkinson, Rowlands, Langley.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carronshore on Maps
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Dock Street and the bit of Main Street between Church Street and Waddell Street are on Google maps. They are also on the 1897 25" OS map although aren't named. Dock Street is there too (unnamed) on the 1876 25" OS map but Main Street isn't.

See http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html for further information. Just thought that I should give you the coordinates: 289404 and 682926

Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline mitch7532

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carronshore on Maps
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 14 13:30 BST (UK) »

Thank you - stupidly I hadn't realised that further maps were available - I'm used to the old-maps website where everything available comes up in one long list.

Thanks again

Mitch
PARFREMENT/PERFREMENT(anywhere). Mitchell, Russell, Cooper, Williams, Hales, Hopkinson, Rowlands, Langley.