Author Topic: Seeking info George Wemyss Gunn - Leith  (Read 6197 times)

Offline CathyGunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info George Wemyss Gunn - Leith
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 12 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for pointing me back to the list Dave. I hadn't logged in for a while so hadn't seen the messages.

Great to hear from another living relative. For such a large family a few generations back we seem to be few in number now. Maybe the connections have been lost.

I did find the 1911 census record about my grandfather being born in Glasgow and adopted, and also wondered if one of his birth parents might have been a Gunn family member. I'm thinking of DNA testing to find out if this is the case as no other trails can be found. My father (who is still alive but doesn't talk about his father!) said he believed his father was born in Leith and never asked or wondered about his background.

I'd need some volunteers for the DNA matching....

cheers
Cathy

Offline EvelynR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 12 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Cathy
So nice to read your recent posting and very glad you have picked up the list again.  I would be happy to do DNA test if you think I'm a suitable candidate.  As I have said, my mother was your grandfathers sister with about 7 years between them and this posting has brought it all back to me.
I still exchange Christmas cards with your mother.  Perhaps she would let me have your e-mail address so we can exchange information as we have done considerable research into various branches of the family.
Best wishes
Evelyn

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelyn,

You need to have made 3 posts before you can use the PM system. Reply to this message and that will be you complete. Then go to Cathys last message, you will see a little scroll, coloured darkngreen if offline, bright green if online, just click on that and you will be able to send a personal message, exchange emails without anyone else seeing.

Good Luck with your research,

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline EvelynR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Tom
Thanks for that.  I am not yet sure of all the procedures.

Offline Alex W

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick post to join the discussion, and say Hi!, from another branch of the clan! My roots are from the Flanagan line, same as Dave, my father being William Ward Flanagan, son of JC Flanagan and Helen Flanagan nee Gunn. Dave's grandfather being my uncle. This line dropped the Flanagan and my Dad took his middle name as a surname.

Anyway, my Dad worked with Gillies Slaters and Roofers and my sister and brother remember George  'Dod' Gunn from those days, presumably in the '40s and into the '50s. My sister also said that somewhere in the family is a workplace group photo with Dad and Dod. I'm searching!!!

Regards from Scotland,

Alex

Offline EvelynR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 December 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Nice to get another response. 
My grandfather, George (Dod) Gunn certainly worked with Jack Gillies until he retired at 65, and lived with us in Juniper Green into his 80s. His daughter, Margaret (my mother) , also worked in Gillies's office from leaving school until the end of the war.
Jack Gilllies's first marriage was to my grandfather's sister, Johanna, a professional pianist who died very young.
I seem to recall the name May Flanagan - am I on the right track - was she perhaps my mother's cousin??

Regards
Evelyn

Offline DaveFlanagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 March 13 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Evelyn, can't PM you yet as I've not made enough postings. Just piecing together the Gunn/Laughton/Scott side of the family tree after a long break from it all. You're more than welcome to have access to the information I have so far.

So far I've never been able to find a birth record for your great grandfather (my great, great grandfather) George Gunn 1847-1908. Nor have I been able to trace the family's origins beyond Leith. Assume they would have come from Caithness at some point in the past. Not sure if it was ever discussed within your family.

As far as the Flanagan line goes, we're assuming my great grandfather (an Irish seaman) lodged with my great, great grandparents George and Margaret (the grocers) as he subsequently married their daughter Helen. Cousin Alex is currently on the case too. More the merrier!

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 March 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi DaveFlanagan,

Dave just to advise you that you have reached the 3 post mark, and as such you can use the PM system now.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline EvelynR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Dave
My son in London is the one who is doing all the research on this - so I am getting it all '2nd hand'.  He has promised to join in this conversation when he is a bit less busy.
We have the Gunns going back to Renfrewshire and the Laughtons/Scotts to Orkney. Would be glad of any info you have.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards   Evelyn