Author Topic: David Guthrie Flora Shaw - Edinburgh  (Read 2097 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: David Guthrie Flora Shaw - Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 May 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
David Guthrie 22,occupation Gardener J ( likely Junior )

But more likely Journeyman, i.e. a qualified gardener who worked for a master gardener, but was not yet ready to become a master in his own right.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 May 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
I can offer one possibility for David Guthrie although it is a tenuous link at best.

In 1841 besides David there is only one other Guthrie - a Richard - who is a gardener (in Montrose, Ayr).   Living with father James who is a Baker.   By 1851 Richard now married but still living with father James - James now a Baker and Green Grocer, Richard shown as Baker.   By 1861 looks like father James has died and Richard now shown as Market Gardener.

James Guthrie married a Janet Tyrie 22/5/1808 Montrose - the following children show on familysearch:

Alexander b.22/1/1809
James b.16/6/1811
David b.22/3/1813 (must have died)
Robert b.11/3/1815
Richard b.27/12/1817
David b.11/1/1819
Charles b.15/7/1822
John Wood b. April 1824

No trace of David in Montrose 1841 nor anywhere else after then so is this possibly your David knowing there is a gardener link to this family?

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 May 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
Looks like a good possibility.

However if you search on FreeCen for surname Guthrie and occupation Gard* rather than Gardener you get 4 results besides David in Edinburgh

George, 60, in Dundee, not born in Angus
John, 78, in Dalmellington, Ayrshire, born in Ayrshire
Richard, 20, in Montrose, Angus (Montrose is not in Ayr), born in Angus
Robert, 35, East Kilpatrick, not born in Dunbartonshire

Given that David and Flora named one of their sons George, one has to consider the possibility that he was an unrecorded son of George the gardener.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 May 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for all of your help guys.

I did not know about the probates for David and Flora. The first is defo my man, and the latter looks hopeful as the beneficiary was a seedsman, (well they have a connection with Gardens!).

I wonder why she did not leave the money to her son? I guess all we can assume is that she was either having a relationship with John Hughes, or she didn't know where her son had gone to. (see below)

The Gardening theme, (thankfully), did continue in the family as David's son, George was an apprentice gardener on the 1871 Census.  I  located on the 1881 Census a George Guthrie who was a Plant salesman in Tottenham. One  son was David George, who end up...yes you have guessed it....a professional musician in an Orchestra!!!!, (Flautist). My mother said he died early due to drinking excessive amounts of Whisky, thus proving the Scottish connection  :)

As regards the Father of David, (the David DOB c1817), it appears the trail will go cold. I do think however that the George from Dundee looks the favourite but is too tenuous a link to stand up.

Once again everyone thanks for all your help

Regards

Eric

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 May 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
There are two recorded births round about the right time for David Guthrie with father called George......not that it means much as lots of births weren't recorded. There is also nothing to say that his father was called George anyway.
One in Kinnell Angus to George Guthrie and Agnes Glen the other in Duns Berwickshire to George Guthrie and Mary Crease
Hackland.....Orkney/ Leith/ Worldwide
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Mc/Mac Donnell.....Inverness-shire
Crawford.......Douglas Lanarkshire/Newhaven Edinburgh
Keith......Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire/Perthshire/
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
There are 3 births registered in Llanrwst:

Henry Dec.1849
Margaret Dec.1852
George Jun. 1855

If following the Scottish naming pattern with 1st son named after paternal grandfather, then David Guthrie's father would be a Henry!

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk