Author Topic: Ironsides of New Deer.  (Read 8741 times)

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ironsides of New Deer.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought. Have you a copy of Jane Ironsides marriage. Who does she list as her parents? Who were the witnesses?

Norma

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you viewed the 1911 census on scotlandspeople? I have found a MI (monumental inscription) in the Kirkyard of Millbrex & Woodhead for a couple who may be your great grandparents.
"In loving memory of our dear mother Margaret Ironside died Bruckleseat, Millbrex January 1923 aged 82, widow of William Ironside late of New Deer" At the bottom of the stone it says inserted by Tibbie.
Hopefully you'll maybe recognise the placename. I'm assuming Margaret died the home of one of her family. It should be no problem to find the death certificate on scotlandspeople. It'll confirm if it is your ancestor & the informant is likely to be a close family member.
Hope this helps,
flst.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 January 14 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello here is the Grandmother with her children in 1881.

Part Lands Auchreddie,
New Deer, Aberdeen.

Margaret Webster, Head, Millers Wife, M. age 40 years, F. Born New Deer, Aberdeen,
William Ironside, Son, Scholar, Age 13 years, M. Born New Deer, Aberdeen,
Jane Ironside, Daur, Scholar, Age 11 years, F. born New Deer, Aberdeen,
Alexander Ironside, Son, Age 9 years, M. Born, New Deer, Aberdeen, Handicap, Imbecile Dumb,
Thomas Ironside, Son, Age 9 years, M. Born, New Deer, Aberdeen, Handicap, Imbecile Dumb,
George Ironside, Son, Scholar age 8 years, M. born New Deer, Aberdeen,
Jessie Ann Ironside, Daur, Scholar, age 6 years, F. born New Deer, Aberdeen,
Francis Ironside, Son, age 3 years, M. born New Deer, Aberdeen,
Gordon Jemima Ironside, Daur, age 1 year, F. born New Deer, Aberdeen,
James Cumming, Boarder, Tailor, U. age 39 years, M. born Tarves, Aberdeen.

The father William Ironside, occupation Miller, age 45 years, M. born Fyvie, is living and working in a Mill, in Udny, Aberdeen.

It looks like William Ironside, and Margaret Webster, had at least 11 children.

Regards,
Jonn.

ps, the two boys Alexander, and Thomas Ironside, were twins.

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all. That's a lot of info. It'll take a while to sort thro. My Gran [ Jane/Jeannie ] never talked about her family and we never knew anything about them. Twins are quite common in my lineage too. My Uncle was one as was I.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 January 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Do not know if this is of any relevance to you however on the 1841 census there is a George Ironside living at New Deer with a John Chalmers. This is what I have written about John.

" John Chalmers was born 18th September 1816. I believe he became a shoemaker and on the 1841 census was living at Land of Buss, New Deer alongside his apprentice George Ironside (15). By 1851 he had moved to Auchredie where as well as a being a shoemaker employing one journeyman he farmed four acres of land. Also resident at Auchreddie where his wife Mary (33) originally from Stonehaven, and children Ann (8), George (6), John (4) and Margaret (3). All of the children where born in New Deer".

With the name Ironside, New Deer and Auchredie mentioned I thought there might be a connection.

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 January 14 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew, Thats to much of a coincidence to overlook. Thank you for the info. I do appreciate the help from you all.

Andy