Author Topic: James Taylor Born Lonmay 1822 Married Christian Howatt Fraserburgh  (Read 3345 times)

Offline kivlehan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Taylor Born Lonmay 1822 Married Christian Howatt Fraserburgh
« on: Sunday 06 April 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, wondered if anyone can help with tracing what happened to James.  He was a ships carpenter and did not appear on any census as far as I can tell, at least not at home in Fraserburgh. In 1861 his wife is "married" shore Street with son James 15, Daughter Christian 11 Alexander 5 and Jessie 1, Sister Mary Gillen widow 36 and Ann Taylor mother in law widow 67 and servant Isabella Innes 17. In 1871 Christian is a widow and mill worker with Christian, Alexander and Jessie still at Shore Street.  I have been unable to find a death on Scotlandspeople.  I have trawled online newspapers to find a possible death at sea without result.  James Junior also seems to disappear during this ten year period and again I have been unable to find out where he went.  I have been unable to find an OPR for James snr's birth but believe that his mother is Ann Anderson.  A seamans registration giving James snr's birth as Lonmay 13 Apr 1822 and his son Alexander's birth certificate in 1855 which state James age as 33 yrs and birth location as Lonmay are my only documentation on James.  Can anyone help?  ???
Springle, Taylor, Howatt, Morgan, Ridgway, Clow, Kivlehan

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Taylor Born Lonmay 1822 Married Christian Howatt Fraserburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
A tree on ancestry has him dead in 1862 did you try different variations with the spelling of Taylor

Offline kivlehan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie17 - The trees on ancestry appear to assume James's death between 1862 and 1870 - no record backs this up just assumption based on the census info where Christian is married in 1861 and a widow in 1871.  I have been in contact with the Gilchrist connection.  However one of the other trees also has James jnr married to Christian West and dying in 1899.  The death certificate for this James Taylor has his parents as Alexander Taylor and Janet Masson so I'm not sure how robust the research is. I haven't tried a spelling variation as Taylor (especially in this area) is such a common name, but anything is worth a try.  Many thanks for your help. :)

Springle, Taylor, Howatt, Morgan, Ridgway, Clow, Kivlehan

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 April 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, Scotlandspeople have a James Taylor born 1-11-1822 to James Taylor and Ann Henderson in Oldmachar parish in Aberdeen. I didn't view the image but I suspect you won't get much more as it's from the OPR. In the 1841 census, there is a James Taylor aged 15(rounded down), carpenter, and John Taylor aged 13, tailor, living in Broad Street Fraserburgh. Both born in Aberdeenshire. The 1851 census has Christian Taylor, seamans wife aged 23, James Taylor aged 5 and Christian Taylor aged 1, living on Shore Street Fraserburgh. You probably have all this already but if not, I hope it helps.
Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum