Author Topic: Thomas Wallis born Hull c 1853  (Read 1736 times)

Offline SALLY C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wallis born Hull c 1853
« on: Saturday 26 April 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thomas Wallis born c 1853 married Sarah Jane Fisher on 1st February 1874 age 21 so his birth would have been around 1853. The only births I have are 1852 and 1854 but neither of them are him.  His father William was at the wedding listed as a Hatter but I can't find him (plenty of Willliam Wallis around that time in Hull but none of them are him.  I have Thomas on the census from 1881 to 1911 listed as a trawlerman but nothing before that date, he could of course been at sea at that time? How do you check that??. 
I think he died either in 1922 or 1925 in Hull.  He had three children, Susannah Emily born 1877 who married James West in 1896, Kate born 1879 married Thos Eagle and died in 1898 and Thomas William Henry born 1881-1947 married 1906 to Catherine McKenzie.

So where were Thomas and his father before 1874, help please!

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wallis born Hull c 1853
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 April 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
There's a Thomas Wallis aged 9 in the Hull workhouse in 1861 - sadly under condition it says "deserted"

Do yuo know who the witness at the wedding are - they may help track people down

Offline SALLY C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 April 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
Witnesses at the wedding were William Wallis, Father - Hatter. Thomas Fisher, Father - Ships Steward. James Henshaw and Rose Fox.
I found the one in the Workhouse and checked with Hull Archives, unfortunately no records exist.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 April 14 22:58 BST (UK) »
Have you tried using the surname Wallace?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 April 14 23:36 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this  is him ?    Wallis and Wallace  sound   very  similar ,   and   the  informant  may  not  have  been  literate  to notice what spelling was  used 

Births Dec 1852   

Wallace  Thomas    Hull  9d 170