Author Topic: Immigration to Canada  (Read 18864 times)

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 January 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Yes Mary Elizabeth Corfield married William Henry Nott and Catherine Corfield married Thomas Glen (both daughters of Benjamin and Catherine).

This is like a jigsaw puzzle, I'm so pleased for you to be finding all this information it's fantastic.

I have to rest now, but I will be back in the morning.
Many thanks both
Best regards
Shirles
My research interests are as follows:
TROW, Jane Elizabeth,(nee Evans) died 1864 in Dorrington, Condover
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764
TUDOR Martha, Kerry, Montg abt 1762
JONES Richard, Llangedwin, Debighshire 1794
UNKNOWN Anne, Shrewsbury? Shropshire abt 1794
STALEY James, Lydbury North, Shrops abt 1772
CORNS Margaret, Lydbury North, Shrops 1769
MILLS Joseph, Golon, Llanbister, Radnorshire
CORFIELD John, St Chads, Shrews 1773

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 January 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Knott listed as a boarder on the 1911 census immediately after William Corfield's entry. I didn't include it in my transcription because it looked like he was listed as a separate household despite being a boarder. Looking at it again it appears the new household information was for the entry after William. William Knott is listed as being married on the census.

I've also found death registrations for two children of David and Ada (Smith) Corfield and a daughter of Simeon and Catherine (Smith) Corfield.

In case you don't have the images from the Canadian passenger list:

Benjamin, Catherine and Mary Corfield (last three entries on page)
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003570727.jpg

Mary Nott (line 23)
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003570732.jpg

Catherine, Kitty and Jean Glen (lines 5 - 7) going to Winnetka, Illinois
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003570737.jpg

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 January 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh so it's mum and dad,two married daughters and assorted grandaughters then  ;D

Glad the other names made sense to you.They certainly appeared to be travelling together according to the passenger list.

I'm off to bed now too  ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 January 09 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I do have Catherine dying in 1922 in Westbury, Shropshire.

It is really interesting to know they went out there to join their son Simon and he had two wives Cecilia Smith and Mary Adams.
Family folk lore said a man in Canada gave my cousin some Corfield information, but we couldn't understand how he knew.  It is making more sense now.

Are you sure about the death for Catherine in Shropshire is the correct Catherine?

I found a death registration for a Catherine Corfield in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Her surname was mistranscribed as Carfield in the index. She died 13 May 1921 at age 69. One of her sons, A. Corfield, was the informant but he left the box for the names of her parents blank. Her address is the same one listed on Benjamin's death registration though.

You said that Benjamin and Catherine had 8 children and we've found 5 of them in Canada so far (Simon, David, William, Mary and Alfred - see below about Alfred) and one who went to the US (Catherine). What were the names of the other two? Is it possible they emigrated too?

Now to passenger lists:

David Corfield arrived in Quebec on 21 May 1909 aboard the Victorian. Here's the passenger list from Library and Archives Canada (line 9)
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003557006.jpg

William Corfield arrived in Boston on 27 Jul 1910 aboard the Georgian.

Alfred Corfield arrived in Quebec aboard the Victorian on 16 Jun 1911 (same voyage as his parents). Here's the passenger list from Library and Archives Canada (line 20):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003570742.jpg

William H. Nott arrived in Quebec on 27 May 1910 aboard the Lake Erie. Here's the passenger list from Library and Archives Canada (line 1):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003562084.jpg

I wasn't able to find a passenger list entry for Simon/Simeon from 1907 however there is a border crossing document (from Canada to US) for him from 16 Jun 1907 which indicates he arrived 30 May 1907 on the SS Ottawa. The only Corfield on the Ottawa which arrived 30 May 1907 in Montreal was listed as Sidney Corfield (line 18):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003664045.jpg

According to the border crossing documents, Simon was going to a friend, E. Pack, in Niagara Falls, New York. It also says his last permanent residence was Hespeler, Ontario.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 January 09 02:43 GMT (UK) »
1910 US Federal Census - Winnetka, New Trier, Cook County, Illinois

Thomas Glen, lodger, 32, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1910, carpenter

1920 US Federal Census - Winnetka, New Trier, Cook County, Illinois

Thomas Glen, head, 44, immigrated 1910, pa (means he had filed the first papers necessary for citizenship), born Scotland, parents born Scotland, carpenter
Cathrine Glen, wife, 38, immigrated 1911, born England, parents born Wales
Jean Glen, daughter, 13, immigrated 1911, born England, father born Scotland, mother born England
Thomas Glen, son, 7, born Illinois, father born Scotland, mother born England
Eileen Glen, daughter, 2, born Illinois, father born Scotland, mother born England
Cathrine Glen, daughter, 14, immigrated 1911, born England, father born Scotland, mother born England

1930 US Federal Census - Highland Park, Lake County, Illinois

Thomas I Glen, head, 54, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1901*, pa (still not a citizen), carpenter   
Catheryn Glen, wife, 48, born England, parents born Wales, immigrated 1911 
Thomas Glen, son, 17, born Illinois, father born Scotland, mother born England, office clerk 
Eileen E Glen, daughter, 12, born Illinois, father born Scotland, mother born England
Jeanie Bowden, grandaughter, 2 5/12, born Illinois, father born Illinois, mother born England 
Cathryn James, daughter, 25, born England, father born Scotland, mother born England, immigrated 1911
*It isn't unusual for a year to be incorrect. The date was probably transposed by the enumerator.

Looks like Catherine was visiting her parents and was enumerated twice. She was enumerated with her husband and children on 11 Apr 1930 and at her parents on 12 Apr 1930.

1930 US Census - Highland Park, Lake County, Illinois

Robert M James, head, 36, born South Dakota, father born Illinois, mother born Kansas, automobile salesman
Cathryn M James, wife, 25, born England, father born Scotland, mother born England, immigrated 1911
Catheryn M James, daughter, 5, born Illinois, father born South Dakota, mother born England
Betty Jean James, daughter, 4 11/12, born Illinois, father born South Dakota, mother born England
Nancy J James, daughter, less than a month, born Illinois, father born South Dakota, mother born England 

Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950 (http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/idphdeathsrch.html)

Jeanne Glen Bowden died 15 Oct 1928 in Lake Forest, Lake County, Illinois

Shirles, I have sent you a series of emails and will have a few more to send later this evening so you should have a full inbox when you get up.

Jacquie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 January 09 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I found a World War I draft registration filled out by Thomas Inglis Glen. He was born 23 Dec 1875 (it might 27 - it looks like one number was written and then changed) in Scotland.

I've had no luck finding a passenger list entry for Thomas Glen. Nothing seems to fit quite right.

Here's a link to Alfred Corfield's WWI Attestation Papers at Library and Archives Canada:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/05f3/
You can order a copy of his military file online from LAC. The cost depends on how large the file is. Here's a link to where you can order it:
https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/copies/secure/005010-5100-e.php

I've also found a death for a child of William and Mary (Corfield) Nott/Knott. Benjamin John Knott (7 months 8 days) died 1 Sep 1913 in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

I'll wait until you let me know if you've received the other documents before I send these last two.

Jacquie

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie and Carole

I am amazed at how you have been able to find so much information, looking at the originals it is not an easy thing to do, I have a lot of homework to do.

These are the eight children:

Children of BENJAMIN and CATHERINE  CORFIELD nee HUGHES are:
   32.i.        MARY ELIZABETH5 CORFIELD, b. 1877, Staffordshire Ogley
                               Hay; married William Henry Nott Mar Qtr Marylebone
                               1a 111.  died 1963.
   33.  ii.      JOHN CORFIELD, b. 1879, Staffordshire Stonnal.
   34. iii.      SIMEON CORFIELD, b. Jul Qtr 1884 Lichfield 6b 470.
   35. iv.      CATHERINE CORFIELD, b. 1882. Married Thomas Glen
                                Dec Qtr 1904  Lichfield 6b 866a
   36.v.        BESSIE CORFIELD, b. Oct Qtr 1886.Lichfield 6b 866
   37.vi.       DAVID B CORFIELD, b. 1889
                     vii.   ALFRED CORFIELD, b. 1895; married. FRANCES ANSLOW
                                Jun Qtr 1922 Lichfield 6B 1008.
                    viii.   WILLIAM J CORFIELD, b. 1892; married CLARA WRAIGHT.

It could well be another Catherine Corfield that is buried in Westbury ~ some of this information has been handed down the family and researched by a third cousin of mine that began researching 25 years ago before all the information was accessible on the internet.

There is so much information here it will take me a while to sift through it ~ I am extremely grateful to you for helping me in such a thorough way.

Best wishes
Shirles
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764

Offline Farinaman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 March 09 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi 
Found your post by chance.
we have a benjamin and catherine Corfield in our family tree
catherine Corfield (nee Corfield) born 2/2/1853 Austery warwickshire
benjamin Corfield (her Cousin) Born  Nov/Oct 1847 Minsterley Salop
They married 13/11/1872 in Hyssington  Shorpshire and lived at Haywood farm in Westbury.
They disappear off of all records around 1901
I have a some information from now dead relative that says catherine died and is buried in Westbury churchyard. I have been there but couldn't find her.  I don't know where benjamin died or is buried
Could they be the ones you are looking at?
Any info about catherine buried in westbury would be excellent, as I can't find her.

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 March 09 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

There is a Catherine Corfield buried in Westbury but it is not the Catherine that immigrated to Canada with Benjamin Corfield because I had a great deal of help on here and found everything I needed to know about them, which I am happy to share with you off line. 
Catherine's maiden name was Hughes she was born in Forden, Montgomeryshire.

I am not available this evening, but please contact me tomorrow.
Best wishes
Shirles