Author Topic: Descendants of David Galloway Falkland to Montreal/Quebec from 1913  (Read 5042 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of David Galloway Falkland to Montreal/Quebec from 1913
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace the descendants of my great grandfather David GALLOWAY, who was born 1859 in Falkland, Fife, and died in Montreal in 1913. He was a mason and fell from the 'Cape's Building'. He is buried in Mount Royal Cemetery. His wife was Margaret Bruce.

He and three of his children emigrated to Canada in 1912 - Meg. Bella and David.

I know Meg married a BRUCE STERLING and they had three children - Margaret, David and Bruce. Last known address for Bruce La Valle.

Bella married (Alec?) GLENCROSS and had children Alec, Eric, Bruce, John and David.
Alec jnr married Gwen. Last known address for them in Quebec.

If anybody knows anything about them, I would love to get in contact.

Many thanks
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of David Galloway Falkland to Montreal/Quebec from 1913
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Please don't answer on this thread as there is a duplicate one here... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,579836.0.html
No need to ever make two threads on the same subject as it only duplicates resources, goldie... J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry JJ.
Wasn't aware I'd posted this twice. **** computers!  :-\

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 22:38 GMT (UK) »
 ;) heehee my son, a computer whiz...says ****users!!! ( Meaning the person in the chair in FRONT of the computer)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MTBruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,... I'm hoping you're still interested in this area...

I'm grateful to pick up some of your comments as a help to my study of the extended Bruce family.  Margaret Hay Bruce was a linen factory worker/weaver and came from a long line of linen weavers dating back via power loom weavers to hand loom weavers in Strathmiglo and Falkland villages in West Fife, Scotland (1700's).  Perhaps weaving was in the genes of her great grand-daughter Charlotte Glencross.  Margaret's brother Alexander lived in Burntisland (a town some 17 miles away on the coast) in 1881 where David Galloway was living & working - it's likely they were friends and this was the link between the families).  I have the marriage cert dated 14th April 1882. Both families lived around Falkland from before 1800 (I have the Bruce's back to 1650's).  The Galloway's were master shoemakers...  If you ever want help to delve back into the Scottish part of you story I'd be happy to help. 

Regards.  M

PS Belleisle in Falkland is now South Street - see the low stone cottages near the church to the west of the Horsemarket on Google Earth.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi MT
How great to hear from you!
I would love to compare notes and see what you have found out about the Bruces, the  Galloways, the Hays ...........  :D

I know I thought I had the Bruces sorted at one time (I started this lark in the 1980s!), but more recently when I came back to it, I decided they were more complicated than I had thought - starting I think with Margaret Bruce, or at least her grandparents. I have her parents as Thomas Bruce and Mary Hay married 3 Nov 1844 at Falkland. That seem to at least tally with what you have. There were several Thomas Bruces born around this time, and I thought at one time his father was David Bruce, but now I'm not so sure - I think it might have been Henry (Harry) Bruce from Dysart. I haven't been down this track for a couple of years now, so I would need to go back and look at my notes to see why I came to that conclusion. I'd love to know what information you have about this.

One of my 'brick walls' has always been Mary Lamb who was Mary Hay's mother, marrying Alexander Hay on Jan 25th 1822 at Falkland. I know she must have died about 1830, as Alexander remarried, but have not been able to find her death, or any trace of who her parents were. Have you managed to find out anything about her?

It will probably be easier to communicate via email if we are going to be corresponding a lot - I hope!  ;D - you have to have three posts on here before we can send Personal Messages that include an email address - Rootschat policy is no emails on posts. So if you send me a reply here, I'll send one back again....etc

On the Galloway side - I did manage to find relatives still in Canada, and had quite a correspondence with them. I also found a cutting in the newspaper about David Galloway's death - the story of which we were always told was that he fell from the top of a building - the newspaper story just says he dropped dead in the street (heart attack) - no dramatic falling off a tall building! such is the embroidering of family stories!

Hoping to hear from you - thanks for contacting me

Offline MTBruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,

great to hear back so soon!

I'm out & about today but have a clear day tomorrow so will look seriously then.  In the meantime I can suggest some lines to look out for.

Bruce's - Falkland is a small place but there are a few related Bruce families have been there over the years.  On the line we need look out for Henry/Harry Hope Bruce.  This is a recurring name with births in 1794 (Thomas's father), 1849 (Thomas's son) 1904, 1906 x 2 (3 of Thomas's Great grandsons).

I have been through all of the recorded Bruce births in Falkland from microfiche files and have a spreadsheet which I'll send to you when I can - this gives dates and parents - whilst not definitive or always accurate, it does give a strong guide to who was around.  Also spelling is a challenge as you'll know.  Look for 'Bruson' (1841 & 1851) and addresses in Belleisle, Horsemarket & Balmblae (all areas of Falkland associated with the family).  All four grandparent names are given to Thomas and Mary's children (Henry, Margaret, Alexander & Mary) - this tradition is strong.

Lamb & Hay - I haven't done much here (but will now).  I can only see 2 Mary Lambs born in the right sort of areas and around the right date. One is 12/7/1791 in Torryburn, Fife and the other is 2/10/1785 in Leuchars - neither is an obvious fit at first glance.  I have 2 Alexander Hays to follow up - the more likely is 20/6/1793 in Kirkcaldy to Alexander Hay and Catharine Horne (no Catherine or similar name features in the grandchildren though). The other seems too late - 13/12/1801 in Markinch which is reasonably close to Falkland.

Plenty to go at :0) - More in a couple of days - best regards....    Malcolm

Offline MTBruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - one more thing...

Check out Harry Hope Bruce born 7th Sept 1794 in Falkland (Died 1852)  He married Margaret Henderson. This is most likely to be Thomas's father.  Harry was son of Robert Bruce (20/9/1767 - 13/9/1833) and Janet Simpson ( 1764 to Aft 1794). Both Falkland.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 December 14 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

Many thanks for all the information.

I have seen the Census entries under Brucen before – I think that is partly why I started to think Thomas’ father was Henry rather than the baptism of Thomas in 1824, father David. This David also has a daughter Margaret who is 8 months old in 1841.
As you say, naming patterns were very strong – and it worries me slightly that out of the children I have found for David Galloway and Margaret Bruce, none of them have the names Henry, Harry, or Hope. All but one of the others can be accounted for as grandparents etc names – the exception is Ellen.
I don’t know how far you have gone into their family – perhaps you have found a missing Henry!

I too have seen the two Mary Lamb births, but I don’t know how to pin anything down about her. By 1841 she has died, and Alexander Hay  remarried Barbary (Simpson I think in 1832). So this Alexander Hay is the one 20/6/1793 at Kirkcaldy. HIS father was Alexander again, married Catherine Horn(e) 14 Nov 1782 Edinburgh. I have a bit more on the Hay line.

Margaret Henderson is yet another of those shadowy women in the background. Occasionally I’ve found some of them where you can find a little more substance about them. I’m sure they weren’t shadowy at the time! – especially knowing Scottish women!!

I’ll send you a PM with my email, which will be easier for sending documents etc.

I’m very interested in revisiting this part of my family – just the spur I need!