Author Topic: Beattie family in Hawick  (Read 36341 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Beattie family in Hawick
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a connection with a Beattie family in Hawick?

My maternal G-Grandmother, Janet (Davidson) Beattie moved there from Langholm, Dumfries, sometime after the death of her husband, Joseph Edward Beattie in 1902 and the birth of their 15th (!!!) child, Charlotte, the same year.

I'd be pleased to hear from anyone with a connection to this family, as I know little after this date, other than my own line decended from one of Charlotte's siblings who moved to Carlisle.
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie family in Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
I'll get back to you on your question.

Our son lives in the house where David Johnstone Beattie was born.  I recently had a visit from his niece and she handed me a copy of the Beattie family tree.

I've still to re-type it and enter the details into my computer, so once that's done (think after the summer!!!) I'll be able to give you mpre information.

According to my family tree program David J Beattie is my 2nd cousin 1 removed!!
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
David J Beattie and my maternal Garndfather, Joseph E. Beattie (Jnr), were brothers - they moved to Carlisle and set up their stonemason's business in Carlisle, first in Murrell Hill then moving to the present site in Warwick Road, although the business has now been sold out of the family but the new owners still use the name Beattie & Co.

Which one of the Beattie siblings are you related to?  I've had contact with some of the family in Perth, Australia - family of Andrew Beattie, who was one of my grandfather's younger brothers, and about 18 months ago met up with other family in Carlisle.

I visited David's son, Kenneth, a few years ago and he gave me a handwritten family tree which he and his father had worked on - going back to John Beattie b.c.1701 and further back through a distaff line to John Hounam b.c.1651. It will be interesting to compare notes when you've had a chance to sort out your information!

Thanks for replying anyway! Look forward to hearing from you!
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hello

I've got the tree supplied by my Beattie-descended neighbour now typed out and can send you it as a Gedcom.

I used the information supplied with blind faith as on the neighbour's tree without checking it out, so errors and omissions expected!

However, I have added information to the tree where I can verify facts - this will be obvious from the Gedcom once you've opened it.

I'm not descended from any of the Beatties, but John Beattie married a Janet Hounam in 1822, and I'm a descendant of her sister, Mary Ann Hounam.  Their grandfather was Samuel Wolves (Baron Bailie in Langholm) who features a bit in David J Beattie's books!

Further - I've also typed out a four-and-a-bit pages of all the Hawick area Beatties mentioned in the Great War book produced in Hawick after the war ca 1922, you'll find David J, his brother, and mother mentioned in it.

Perhaps you could p/m me off the board and I'll email these to you as  attachments.
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline 21millie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just started looking into my family tree and on my grandpas side (Charles Spurgeon Beattie) a lot of his family came from Langholm area and I have come across a Charlotte which I think might related to you.  Maybe you could let me know how I can get a copy of what I have so far, it might be of use to you.

21millie
Beattie, Sievewright, Whittle, McGinlay, Thompson

Offline Magnum324

• I am sorry but my email has stopped working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 11 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millie..appreciate your email as to tthe Beattie Family but afraid your Charles is not in my line. They did live & raise families in Langholm but mostly in Dumfries where one Thomas & Grace Brow Beattie left from Greenock & sailed to Prince Edward Island in 1822. They had a large family in PEI, two of which where Thomas & Alexander. Most of the children left the Island & settled in & around Boston, Ma & New Jersey, USA. Would be glad to read anything you have, never know when a name might ring a bell.
Scanning & email is one way or postal is another, strickly up to you. Again, thanks for your interest, my best to you, Artemas Beattie.
ps: Visited Scotland in 1996, left part of my heart there, beautiful country & people...
Beattie, Beatty, Canonbie, Langholm, Dumfries

Offline Ray Beattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this site. David J Beattie was my paternal grandfather.
His family were Connie, Elsie, Ronald, Wilson, George(my father) and Kenneth.
I too have a copy of the family tree prodiced by Kenneth.
Will fill in any questions if I am able.
Ray

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 October 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
 Hi, Ray - we must be related, my Grandfather was David's brother, Joseph Edward.

If you want to compare notes please feel free to PM me - I tried to leave a message for you but I think there may be a problem with the system!

Regards, Stoney

Offline Ray Beattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Stoney
How good to hear from you - I have turned up such a lot of info since my last post. I now have a photo from the person actually living in the house where David and presumably Joseph lived in Langholm.
A family tree is shortly to be sent to me also.
So where do you live now? Here is a web site which I discovered last week - you will enjoy!!
 http://clydesburn.blogspot.com/2011/02/david-johnstone-beattie-1881-1964.html
Best wishes
Ray Beattie