Author Topic: Royal Scots WW1 Roll of Honour  (Read 18870 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Scots WW1 Roll of Honour
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:37 BST (UK) »
Are these off a War Memorial or from newspaper obituaries?

No. They are compendia of information from a variety of sources collated by me in the course of researching my family. All of them are related to me. Sources include the CWGC web site, Scotland's People and newspapers, though I don't think I have actually seen a newspaper obituary of any of them, and none of the information is taken from a war memorial.

Maybe asking too much, but it would be great if you could weave them into a story of relationships at the time and what you know about their earlier lives and how they fell. It would be excellent to put online as a family story, if you agreed.

Alistair

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
I don't really have any more detail of the six individuals listed, though I could provide large trees of their relatives. I don't for instance (yet) know where any of them went to school or how they died, other than the general descriptions of various battles on the CWGC web site.

Although they are all related to me, not one of them is related to any of the others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
I don't really have any more detail of the six individuals listed, though I could provide large trees of their relatives. I don't for instance (yet) know where any of them went to school or how they died, other than the general descriptions of various battles on the CWGC web site.

Although they are all related to me, not one of them is related to any of the others.

OK. If you are interested I can send you the file I have about Seville FC (in Spanish!!).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
That's fine, thank you. I can read Spanish adequately.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
That's fine, thank you. I can read Spanish adequately.

PM me your email address and I will send the file.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 17 July 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
Alistair. you know how much we endorse your work and project.

Forfarian, I never cease to be amazed about your connections and wealth of knowledge.

I am bilingual with Spanish. If I can help, let me me know  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 17 July 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Alistair. you know how much we endorse your work and project.

Forfarian, I never cease to be amazed about your connections and wealth of knowledge.

I am bilingual with Spanish. If I can help, let me me know  :)

Monica

Hi Monica,

I Had forgotten. I think you mentioned once that your mother was Spanish. If you care to PM your email address, I will send the file to you. I have never been able to get a good translation.

Alistair

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 July 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the file, Alistair. I am working my way through it, and it makes interesting reading. I like the idea of  Los agentes de difusión británicos !

Monica, you are too kind.

Incidentally, the obituary quoted in translation, originally published in the Elgin Courant and Courier, is in error when it says that Mary Crombie (1855-1927) was the daughter of James Crombie of Grandholm Mills. She was in fact the daughter of his brother John Crombie (1819-1894) of Grandholm Mills. 

My connection to the Crombie family is through Mary Crombie's mother Jane Sang (1825-1900). I am not related to James Crombie, or to his famous great-great-great-granddaughter.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 July 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the file, Alistair. I am working my way through it, and it makes interesting reading. I like the idea of  Los agentes de difusión británicos !

Monica, you are too kind.

Incidentally, the obituary quoted in translation, originally published in the Elgin Courant and Courier, is in error when it says that Mary Crombie (1855-1927) was the daughter of James Crombie of Grandholm Mills. She was in fact the daughter of his brother John Crombie (1819-1894) of Grandholm Mills. 

My connection to the Crombie family is through Mary Crombie's mother Jane Sang (1825-1900). I am not related to James Crombie, or to his famous great-great-great-granddaughter.

Glad you are enjoying it. I hope you will be able to let me have a translation in due course, if that is not asking too much.

Alistair